High-End Vehicle CD Receivers Going Away?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
eBay is the best place and also goodwill online auctions. A lot of old school high end car audio on both.

I know that all too well! I've accumulated quite a bit over the years. Should probably get rid of some but I can never bring myself to do it. My Lanzar stuff:

You must be registered for see images attach

I’ve been in the market for an old school CD player for the suburban, ya know the awesome green button alpine that everyone had to have in the late 90s early 2000s.

My first car had one of those when I bought it, courtesy of the previous owner.

My dream old school CD player was always the Denon DCT-Z1. Never did get one though.

There was a member here fairly recently who did a 90's period correct system with one of the old Rockford Fosgate CD players that turned out really cool. I'll see if I can find his thread.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of CD players, how about a home system CD Changer (Technics)? It holds 60 CDs plus 1 in the player. IIRC I bought it at Sears in the 90s. You can set it to play random albums or separate tunes. I haven't plugged it in and turned it on in at least 10 years, ha ha.

Drop the face and load 'er up. It even came with a folder which holds the jewel case inserts so you can catalog them.

I think they even made a 100 + 1 too.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked the Kenwood eXcelon product catalog and they have a new single DIN CD player that's exactly what I'm looking for! The KDC-X704.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX704/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X704.html

It's really nice to see that somebody still makes a simple single DIN CD player with decent crossover/EQ options and time alignment. The price is right too. Maybe Kenwood saw a gap in the market after Pioneer and Alpine discontinued their flagship single DIN models?

Thanks again!
Solid Choice my friend!!!! You won't be disappointed. The menu format takes a little getting use to, but not other complaints from me! That thing is FULL featured!!!

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know that all too well! I've accumulated quite a bit over the years. Should probably get rid of some but I can never bring myself to do it. My Lanzar stuff:

My first car had one of those when I bought it, courtesy of the previous owner.

My dream old school CD player was always the Denon DCT-Z1. Never did get one though.

There was a member here fairly recently who did a 90's period correct system with one of the old Rockford Fosgate CD players that turned out really cool. I'll see if I can find his thread.

I love those optidrives! Awesome collection.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I think they even made a 100 + 1 too.
Shop stereo is mostly all '70's vintage.
Kenwood KT8300 tuner & a matching Kenwood KA9100 amp. Owned for over 30 years.
Wharfedale speakers that I swear I'm gonna sell everytime I move 'cause they're just so damn big & heavy. That thought only lasts until the next time I crank 'em up!
Newest addition is one of these. Purchased in '97.
Sony CDP-Cx455. 400 disc CD player.
Pawn-shop. $150.00! (They also made a 300 disc.)
Plays CDs, CD-R's & CD-RW's.
Can be daisy-chained to a second for 800 CDs, operated with a single remote. Titles for either players read off of the #1 unit.
A P/C keyboard can be plugged in for disc labelling.
I hardly use it anymore. (Wont work in a vehicle! :rolleyes:)
But it sure does look impressive on the shelf!
Oooo. Blue lights.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
I’ll miss CD, I have about a million of them. Nowadays Ive been converted to Sirius XM, a lot of music nationwide. My wife has been bugging me to put a new radio in the Blazer, I’ll get one that’s got a big touchscreen with built in navigation and connects with her phone. Might even get one for the 89 or the Escalade that I will buy.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Sooo if you have newer style dash that has “pocket” or aka single CD player then you could buy the cd’less newer double din but have that CD player still available to use which is what I plan to do along with I have 6 disc changer in bottom of center console which will need to work as well! Lol so that may be your best option for retaining older cd platform and having newer head unit but if you have the older square dash I’m all out of answers sorry.

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season coming.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never listen to music while driving. My Chev came with a strong radio receiver, but I only used it back in the day for traffic reports. When I used to fly small aircraft, I was constantly listening for engine failure. Nothing but bush here, nowhere for an Off Airport Landing. Well at least up in the skies I did not have to worry about moose or deer taking me out. LOL