High-End Vehicle CD Receivers Going Away?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Question - can someone tell me if the Alpine head units are significantly different in terms of performance - ie UTE73BT against the HD149BT - is the 73BT just a mech less 149BT? Does Alpine's numbering sequence imply better specs in the 175 vs the 149 vs 73? Thank you

I'm not exactly sure if the model numbers correlate to performance, but I would say that's a decent guess as long as you stay in the same product category and only look at current products. As an example, Alpine's current single DIN CD receivers are the CDE-170, CDE-172BT, and CDE-175BT. As the numbers go higher, you get more features.

Comparing different product categories (like CD receivers to digital media receivers), it seems like the model numbers don't really line up with each other. The only simple single DIN digital receiver Alpine currently offers is your UTE-73BT, and the closest match to that unit in their current single DIN CD receivers seems to be the CDE-175BT. (Which Crutchfield is now showing as discontinued, even though it's still up on the Alpine site...)

The CDE-HD149BT you mentioned was Alpine's flagship CD receiver that was recently discontinued. It was their direct competitor to the Pioneer DEH-80PRS and was loaded with cool features.

So to put it simply, I don't really know. :lol: Fun rambling about it though!

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure if the model numbers correlate to performance, but I would say that's a decent guess as long as you stay in the same product category and only look at current products. As an example, Alpine's current single DIN CD receivers are the CDE-170, CDE-172BT, and CDE-175BT. As the numbers go higher, you get more features.

Comparing different product categories (like CD receivers to digital media receivers), it seems like the model numbers don't really line up with each other. The only simple single DIN digital receiver Alpine currently offers is your UTE-73BT, and the closest match to that unit in their current single DIN CD receivers seems to be the CDE-175BT. (Which Crutchfield is now showing as discontinued, even though it's still up on the Alpine site...)

The HD-149BT you mentioned was Alpine's flagship CD receiver that was recently discontinued. It was their direct competitor to the Pioneer DEH-80PRS and was loaded with cool features.

So to put it simply, I don't really know. :lol: Fun rambling about it though!
Thanks for this info. I took the 149 out and replaced it with the 73 - maybe I should reverse that decision :) Need to go away and research the the feature set again. No laughing, but I put the 73 in to get a more modern and hopefully better BT phone operability. yet with equivalent audio quality and add flac capability which the 149 lacks. I am finding the 73 even worse than the 149 in all respects, except flac support, and I am not a fan of the 73 user interface. At this point I could easily go back to the 149, which is sitting on my shelf looking ill treated :cool:

Last edited:

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunantly cd players r a thing of the past, kids now dont even know what a cd is half the time. And gor the love of god, dont get an android unit! SQ is non exiatant, even inthe expensive ones. Take the time to rip ur vds on pc to Flac files ( lossless) and then put on a thumb drive and enjoy. Sucks but manufacturers gonwith what sells and cd plyyers dont sell anymore