HELP! (please :) ) Wheel Fitment 96 RCSB 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diesel Don

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I am about to buy some 2013 Tahoe 20's for a good price. See attached pic.

Truck is a '96 2wd Silvy, lowered 2/4 via springs.

My understanding is to convert to 6-lug, I will need to:

1. Use 2wd 2500 hub/rotor assemblies on my existing spindles -OR- get NBS spindles and brakes and mod them to accept larger OBS ball joints.

2. Change to a 14bolt 6-lug rear end. But, which one? A 4x4 (wider) rear or a 2wd rear?

3. Get wheel spacers for front to allow for grease cap/spindle clearance. I obviously want to have the center caps fit.

Can anyone say for certain that I will be able to make these work with these modifications?

I don't know anything about wheel fitment, offsets, etc. Can some one chime in on whether or not:

a. Will these wheels clear the suspension, wheel wells etc..?
b. Will these wheels work, offset-wise, and not look stupid.
c. Does it make any difference that I am lowered 2/4 with springs.

I know that these won't just bolt on, but is it reasonable to make it work? I really like these rims. I will have a budget of $600-800 for the necessary parts.

thanks all. mods help me if I posted in the wrong spot.

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can slso go the route of hub centric billet adapters grom 5 lug to 6 pattern

Diesel Don

Reaction score
the tires are 275-60-20 and the wheels are 20*8.5.

he also has a set of oem 18's from a 2010ish truck. those don't have tires mounted, so I would have flexibility there.

I would prefer 20's if they fit well and don't stick way out or anything.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
275/60r20s are basically a 33" tire you would need a 4" lift in order to clear.(of a stock truck your lowered so you would need stock springs)

Diesel Don

Reaction score
Hmm. That sucks. So, off the top of your head, would the 18*.8.5 wheels work, and if so, what size tire would be appropriate?

e3mcgrath

Reaction score
2. Change to a 14bolt 6-lug rear end. But, which one? A 4x4 (wider) rear or a 2wd rear?
send your axles and drums to Moser Engineering and have the welded up, then redrilled. Easiest way IMO. The wheels will fit offset wise

Reaction score
Get em drilled like e3mcgrath said.. the 18s should fit fine with a 45 profile tire.. i ran a 4/6 with 18s and 45 profile and it clearwd but was barely tucking tire.. 2/4 drop should be just fine... As for the 20s... No idea..
Someone on here can give you the link to a rim/ tire size calculator.. I dont remember who all knows it.

Diesel Don

Reaction score
Cool. So as long as watch the tire height and don't go above that height, 20's or 18's should be fine as far as the offset is concerned?

I might consider get the axles welded, but if I can find one cheap enough, I would like to upgrade to 14 bolt positrac with 3.73 or 4.11's..

right now I have a 3.42 open 10 bolt which kinda sucks. has anyone ever switched to a NBS axle? I hear that it just requires changing spring perch es and shock tabs. is that a lot of work? disc brakes would be a plus, especially with the drums being visible in the new wheels.

can anyone recommend which axle to start looking for? ie 4x4 obs axle vs nbs vs 2wd obs 14SF? in terms of fitting best with the newer oem wheels and cost effectiveness?

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
If you go with the 20s you could do a 245/50r20 would put you at approx a 29" tire. If you want to drop it lower you could go with a 245/45r20. As for a rear axle try and find a 3.73 axle.