Headliner trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tm400

Reaction score
I broke the trim at the back of the cab that spans the width of the cab and holds the headliner up. Well actually there was urethane adhesive that was glued to it from a previous rear window replacement, found pieces of broken glass behind the jack box. Does anyone have any advice on finding a replacement? It's a regular cab with blue interior. I've searched ebay, Facebook marketplace and the salvage yard searches. What is the correct term for this piece?

tm400

Reaction score
Thanks. Some of these parts are obsolete. There is a lot of stuff that breaks but there is yet to be aftermarket replacements for. The whole reason this broke was just from a little bit of glue that was on the hidden side of it, it came out perfectly on both sides the just snapped a piece out of the middle. Just my luck I guess. I'll do some checking there and see. I figured I'm not the first to need a piece like this.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I did the same changing out the rear speakers in my EC. I broke the tab off one side and a nice chunk of the trim with it. I’ve searched too with no luck. I did use some JB weld epoxy to glue it on and I got some SEM interior paint to respray the whole trim. I plan to go to a pull it yard or two to find a replacement at some point.

PS: That trim piece does not make sense how it’s installed. It’s a booger to take out and put back in. Not the best engineering marvel for sure.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That trim piece does not make sense how it’s installed. It’s a booger to take out and put back in. Not the best engineering marvel for sure.
Actually, it does if you look at how the interior was installed on the assembly line.
There is an order of installation that all manufacturers follow, with a few variances depending on the year/make/model. i.e. Convertibles, Vettes, British sports cars, etc. (Jags make NO sense.)
There are exceptions even among the various body styles of GMT400's.
But, in general, the basic order of installing an interior is, top/rear > bottom/front. Removal is the opposite.
That large upper rear panel.
The one that most people usually break on their first attempt. It's the very first piece of trim that's installed after the headliner. (Top/rear.)
It's screwed to the body at the ends. But that's hidden by the B-pillar panels.
The B-pillars have tabs that slip in to that first panel, over top of & hiding the screws.
Most people try to remove that upper panel in the same manner as that panel below the rear window. A couple of quick tugs up & out from the bottom edge & it's off.
Nope. Doesn't work that way for that upper.
B-pillars pulled out at the bottom first, then down & out from the top exposing those initially installed screws.
I see so many of those upper trim pieces in the wreckers busted off at the screw tabs.
Don't feel bad, though. You guys aren't the exceptions.

tm400

Reaction score
I did the same changing out the rear speakers in my EC. I broke the tab off one side and a nice chunk of the trim with it. I’ve searched too with no luck. I did use some JB weld epoxy to glue it on and I got some SEM interior paint to respray the whole trim. I plan to go to a pull it yard or two to find a replacement at some point.

PS: That trim piece does not make sense how it’s installed. It’s a booger to take out and put back in. Not the best engineering marvel for sure.
I thought about trying that. It's a pretty clean break. Like I said earlier everything went well until that glue from a replacement back window at some point in its life, I was hidden on the top side just a little bit of black urethane about the size of a quarter. I didn't pry very hard at all, just thought it was the last of the tabs trying to hold on.

I agree newer ones are so much easier to remove and replace. Even to door panels are a pain compared too the ones before and the ones after. Guess they never wanted anything removed from the inside. Honestly I'm sure this was their way of trying to eliminate the squeaks and rattle trucks commonly were known for.

tm400

Reaction score
Actually, it does if you look at how the interior was installed on the assembly line.
There is an order of installation that all manufacturers follow, with a few variances depending on the year/make/model. i.e. Convertibles, Vettes, British sports cars, etc. (Jags make NO sense.)
There are exceptions even among the various body styles of GMT400's.
But, in general, the basic order of installing an interior is, top/rear > bottom/front. Removal is the opposite.
That large upper rear panel.
The one that most people usually break on their first attempt. It's the very first piece of trim that's installed after the headliner. (Top/rear.)
It's screwed to the body at the ends. But that's hidden by the B-pillar panels.
The B-pillars have tabs that slip in to that first panel, over top of & hiding the screws.
Most people try to remove that upper panel in the same manner as that panel below the rear window. A couple of quick tugs up & out from the bottom edge & it's off.
Nope. Doesn't work that way for that upper.
B-pillars pulled out at the bottom first, then down & out from the top exposing those initially installed screws.
I see so many of those upper trim pieces in the wreckers busted off at the screw tabs.
Don't feel bad, though. You guys aren't the exceptions.
Even the a pillar trim is very long and thin at the top of the door,I see how people can easily break the trim pieces. Just wish I would have spotted the little bit of glue that squished in... oh well, it's always something. Just more money to throw at it and time and aggravation trying to find one.