Headliner Peeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score

FTW!

You guys heard anything about the one they sell on LMC. The one piece headliner.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=102

I almost bought on of those for ease of swapping (not brittle like OEM).

Any adhesive you apply be sure to apply it to both surfaces (headliner and fabric) and wait about 10 minutes for it to become tacky. Then press the two halves together.

If you're going to pull (the headliner) down and recover- take a sanding disk and scuff the HL. That way the adhesive gets a good surface to stick to.

-Truckin-

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
This is the stuff I used.

You must be registered for see images attach

And I did exactly that Truckin, instructions actually said so. lol

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The problem with these headliners, is that the material used to cover them (Nyfoam) is made up of two parts. Lightweight fabric bonded to 1/8" poly foam. It 's the foam that causes the probs. It either breaks down, due to the extreme environment that it's in, (wind, hot on the outside/cold on the inside, or the opposite, depending on the time of year) or, the glue between the two materials breaks down. (Can't use much, or the glue soaks through the fabric during manufacturing)
Recovering is the best & least expensive. You can do this.
3M '77' is O.K., but the 3M '90' is much better. Much more controllable with it's nozzle that can be twisted to change the angle of the spray fan, & it can have the amount of glue sprayed, adjusted from light to heavy. It sticks better, longer, too.
If you recover it with headliner material, all you'll need is that, the glue, a one-sided razor, & some good scissors.
If you use something else, you will have to put down some foam first. 1/8" poly foam works. I wouldn't use anything thicker than 1/4", & even that may cause some fitment issues. I like to use 1/8" closed cell foam. The glue won't soak into it & this eliminates the problem of the foam collapsing & sticking to itself, which leaves those tell-tale craters from your fingers in the finished headliner.
If you want, I can help you through the procedure on how to do a H/L recover, that will end up looking pro done.
Best compliment I ever had after I did one of these. "Wow! It doesn't even look like you worked on it! It's like brand new!"
That's the way they should look!
No reason why you shouldn't be able to do this.