Headlight fitment question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgive me if this question's been asked and answered before. I've tried a search but came up with nothing definitive.

I've got a '99 K3500 (still the style) with aftermarket headlights. They're clean, clear and look to be failry new but the light pattern is horrendous no matter how they're adjusted.

I'd like to go back to OEM and I see some on CL but I'm not sure what years would fit. Anyone have a breakdown on this?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The composite lamps that came on your '99 GMT400 truck are the same as the ones that were introduced on this body style in '90. Problem is, any original GM lamps you find out there are gonna be hazy and crappy. Cash up for some brand new ones at about $100/ea if you shop around. A bit pricey but they're the nicest you'll find.

Part #'s are 15034929 (driver) and 15034930 (passenger) - probably find the best price shipped on Amazon. Just be sure you're looking at real GM as the aftermarket ones will usually mention that same part # in their compatibility description, screwing up your search.

Richard

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
if you end up buying the OEM's 15034929 and 15034930 let me know the quality of them, I have heard people complain they're nothing like the originals that had before... thanks!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
if you end up buying the OEM's 15034929 and 15034930 let me know the quality of them, I have heard people complain they're nothing like the originals that had before... thanks!
Almost all this GM stuff is made in China now. It's made "to GM specifications" and that carries some weight, but not as much as old-school "real GM." I still feel they're better than the off-brand aftermarket stuff out there.

Years ago, a decent option would be to buy a used set of OEM lights and restore them. These days it's hard to find a set that isn't already trash or has been replaced with aftermarket.

Richard

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
have you checked to see if the bulbs are seated properly......if a bulb is off by just a few degrees (indexed) the beam pattern will be for shiit........just food for thought.....ask me how i know

Baighn92

Reaction score
I bought some from a auto salvage yard.... You know the ones that take vehicles apart and sell them in an organized fashion. Not the ******** junkyard kind with some oddball miserable old man running it.

One of the lenses was a bit foggy so I bought one of those "headlight restoration kits" from Home Hardware. Followed the instructions to a tee and it worked great! I mean it worked well beyond what I heard on the internet it would. Just take your time and do what it says to do... I spent a little extra time with the polishing compound and it paid off.

Note: The headlight removal screws (A) usually strip the threaded insert inbedded in the plastic. This makes it so the lights are nearly impossible to remove from the plastic assembly. I had to buy 2-3 junk ones and die-grind/cut/hack/slash the junk ones for the adequate parts to make one good assembly. It was hell but now it works, The headlight beam adjusters are usually seized as well. Sometimes they will turn, which will give you the illusion that they work, but the drive screw is usually fused to the adjustment screw and it will then start turning the little square clip (B) in the headlight (those plastic square clips are impossible to remove without damaging the headlight plastic so don't even attempt it)

If you don't want to buy new ones, you can make a good set out of 3-4 old ones. It takes work but it's do-able.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Some PB Blaster soaked into the retaining bolts and adjusters probably would have saved at least some of them.

Now that you've restored the lenses, take the opportunity to clean them really well with wax/grease remover (prep spray) and then clearcoat them. If you don't, they're not gonna last.

Richard