Headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dpell187

Reaction score
wondering what a good preferably cheap brand of headers would be good on my truck. 94 c1500 with 5.7 tbi and 5 speed standard. I’ve looked around summit and seems most won’t fit with the 5 speed standard. Any ideas?

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
wondering what a good preferably cheap brand of headers would be good on my truck. 94 c1500 with 5.7 tbi and 5 speed standard. I’ve looked around summit and seems most won’t fit with the 5 speed standard. Any ideas?

I don't know why they wouldn't work

What length headers are you wanting? Short or long?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exhaust sub-forum here: https://www.gmt400.com/forums/exhaust.32/

"Cheap" means thin flanges at the cylinder head, and mild-steel construction.

I put stainless steel Edelbrock Tubular Exhaust System (TES) on my '88 about twenty years ago. I had to repair the flanges that connect to the Y pipe a few years back, but the headers themselves are still going strong.

Edelbrock discontinued them a long time ago--but stainless steel is the way to go.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Although long tube headers are more effective, shorty headers are a direct replacement for the OE exhaust manifolds. Shortys are good at low RPMs to about 3000 RPMs. I have a set of Summit shortys on my 97 5.7L. I like them. The flanges are nice and thick. These headers come painted, but you need to strip off the paint, and repaint them with some VHT header paint. My shortys have been on my truck for over 5 years. Here are a few pics of them installed.
You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Although long tube headers are more effective, shorty headers are a direct replacement for the OE exhaust manifolds. Shortys are good at low RPMs to about 3000 RPMs. I have a set of Summit shortys on my 97 5.7L. I like them. The flanges are nice and thick. These headers come painted, but you need to strip off the paint, and repaint them with some VHT header paint. My shortys have been on my truck for over 5 years. Here are a few pics of them installed.

I had the same headers on the cammed 305 Vortec in my 1980 C10. Used them for the EGR connection to connect to the GMPP Vortec carb manifold so that I could pass smog. Combined with a 2.5 to 3" Y-pipe and a high flow cat, they were a drastic improvement over the 2" outlet log manifolds and 2" to 2.5" Y-pipe with pellet cat.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same Summit as Kenny has, and the flanges are pretty thick. My Yukon came with Borla's, prolly the most expensive headers out there and are garbage. Flanges are warped, cracks in the primaries, and weld blew out between the primaries in the collector. And used old school paper collector gaskets. I had to get new down pipes cause they cut the old exhaust to use em. I don't see a reason why almost any small block header won't work, not like you have clutch linkage in the way. The best headers I used in these trucks were Flowtechs, They are a shorty, but get the Y-pipe that bolts up. Put these on a truck I had that well over 200k on it, and made it feel like a new engine. Torque was crazy down low. Bolted up 100%, took cat off and put in a 3" straight pipe to the muffler. Did in the driveway 20 years ago.