Headers Vs. Manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
as I understand it????: Long tube and "tuned" headers are good for high end RPM : shortie and block hugger headers are good for low end "torque" : and stock gives a decient low end with minimal high RPM assistance.

Super Silvi 1990

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also headers are the same thing headers are just a hot rod term. Exhaust manifolds are the technical term.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headers are more free-flowing, which opens up one of the factory restrictions on an engine. Most V8s see anywhere from 8-20+ horsepower after a header install.

Overall, headers are an upgrade on almost all vehicles. You will run into emission issues if you are subject to a visual test (headers are considered "off-road" or "racing" only - not for street use). Once my truck is back to running smoothly, I plan on redoing the entire exhaust system (headers, new Y-pipe, new catback), as my current system is a rust-corroded mess.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
long tubes give you the best of both worlds... TQ and HP.. high HP and low end.. its all in the header you buy.. tuned is a plus but not needed in stock motors.. shortys are not worth the money you gain very lil with them... dyno proven seen it with my on eyes...

to me if your running a stock vortec i would put my money on a set of step headers... 1 1/2 to 1 5/8's to a 3" JMO

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
shortys are not worth the money you gain very lil with them... dyno proven seen it with my on eyes...

Good point. It is pretty obvious to your eyes once you lay a shorty header next to a factory exhaust manifold. They really aren't much different - the shorties just push the choke point back a couple inches. If you are pulling the factory manifolds, go with long tube headers or don't waste your money. Gaining 2-5hp from shorties just isn't worth the money or the effort.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
long tubes give you the best of both worlds... TQ and HP.. high HP and low end.. its all in the header you buy.. tuned is a plus but not needed in stock motors.. shortys are not worth the money you gain very lil with them... dyno proven seen it with my on eyes...

Bingo. I don't know why people waste their time with shorties. Long tubes are better all-around. Every one of my vehicles has long tubes. haha

Long tubes help scavenging. The exhaust pulses actually draw air out of the tube next to it like a vacuum. X-pipes function the same way.