Headers or iron manifolds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure not all of them did. Mine lasted 425k miles. I'm sure there hit and miss but still better then today's options. I just bought a dorman 3 months ago and discovered a hair line crack on the left side...
I picked up a set of Hooker manifolds a while back. Fingers crossed they hold up as long as the engine does or even longer. The pair is easily 15 lbs heavier than the GM manifolds and the internally passageways are much larger.

You must be registered for see images attach

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up a set of Hooker manifolds a while back. Fingers crossed they hold up as long as the engine does or even longer. The pair is easily 15 lbs heavier than the GM manifolds and the internally passageways are much larger.

I really wanted those but bit the bullet on shorty ceramic headers. Since you took one for the team,let us know how they hold up

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The manifolds fit the G-van chassis with ease. The manifolds are 2.5" exit, GM 2.5" donuts fit them and I used Pypes 2.5" big block head pipes with them. While I was working on test fitting everything. I switched the outlet flanges from the included bolts to studs and nuts and from gaskets to donuts. I ended up picking up two complete sets of L31 heat shields. One for this engine and another set should a pair of these find their way on my 97 in the future.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really wanted those but bit the bullet on shorty ceramic headers. Since you took one for the team,let us know how they hold up

Those should do well. I do not know how many miles per year that setup will get, but I did enjoy being able to set that engine right into the van with the manifolds already on it with the engine close to being fully dressed.

Luckily the only issue I have run into on the Thorleys on my 97 over the years has been the collector flange setup. I should have V-banded those headers from the start. If they come off it again, I will V-band them and get them re-coated. After a decade the coating has started to come off the headers and I want to switch the stock Thorley collector pipes out for a Speed Engineering GMT800 X-pipe collector setup anyway. I installed one on a GMT800 with long tubes and it looks like it would fit the Thorleys on the 97 with minimal modification. While I have it apart anyway, perfect time to do it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

"I" would separate the #5 and #7 plug wires so that they're farther apart.

Hall-Effect distributor?

Edelbrocks version of a dual sync used for their sequential setup. It is a hall effect unit with dual shutters, having an index for #1. I have since cleaned up the wire routing. That was just how I threw the engine in there, with the cap and rotor removed to pevent damaging them.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't crush bent on earlier 400s not later? My original exhaust on the burb was smooth bends from front to back.
It was on my '99 Suburban. I redid the exhaust with pipes from a 3/4 ton which did not appear to be crush-bent. Then I discovered the block was cracked and sold it.