header bolts loosening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the thread engagement on those nuts. I'd like to see at least one full exposed thread on the stud, but if it works, who am I to complain?
We considered leaving the studs out a little further but decided to bottom them out so it would help to keep them from backing out. Those nuts are deeper than normal nuts due to the locking flanges so there was enough threads IMO. Keep in mind those are grade 8 nuts and studs.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wound up buying these Stage 8 ones. Not cheap, but it seemed to be the best solution for header bolts loosening.

Has anyone on here tried them, comments?

https://www.stage8.com/product/8951-small-block-chevrolet-header-bolt-kit-stainless-steel/

They look like a good idea. I would not use the pieces that use the header tube as a “stop” because I suspect it will eventually wear into the tube wall. The pieces that hook over the flange appear to be quit feasible.

Queso Del Rio

Reaction score
Safety wire was pulled too tight. It's one of those sciences that looks like an art until you learn the tricks. Also, I'd probably go with .041" wire

I don't like the thread engagement on those nuts. I'd like to see at least one full exposed thread on the stud, but if it works, who am I to complain?

Definitely an art to it. I worked supersonic military jets for years with engines moving at 16K+ RPM. Proper wire is crucial. A mix of Nickel, Chrome and Aluminum (Ni-Cr-Al) will handle the harshest applications. Some of the "FAA-approved" stuff is plain ****! Erik the Awful is spot-on too with the lack of thread protrusion! Hard to mitigate this though without changing studs. Thinner profile nuts would lessen the grip surface on the studs too.
You must be registered for see images attach