Head gasket repair or crate motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would always keep my existing engine over any used replacement with an unknown history. Been burned myself going that route and seen too many other people suffer the same fate. Replacing the existing head gaskets would always be the preferred option. If down time and/or effort are considerations, I have used this http://www.blockseal.com/index.htm before with excellent, long-term results.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd lift the heads and if there's no block damage (and ideally no head damage either) just replace the gaskets. Probably clean up the heads and lap the valves while they're off.
If block damage is found- then consider replacing with another engine.
Bear in mind though that I'm writing this in the UK where replacement engines are so scarce as to not be an option.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks I did try the good head gasket sealer last year, but it didn't really do it. I see, so that's the forum for this truck, even though it's an 88? You did a nice job on that truck!

Yes since they carried on with the square body burn until 1991. Though yours is an '88 it is not a GMT400.

Thanks, that means a lot to me, now I have to see how long this "restoration" holds up.

Ross Fellrath

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the advice everyone!!! I've learned a lot already! I think me and my buddy are gonna give the head gaskets a shot. What do you think, replace them with the motor in our out of the truck? I'll for sure let you know how it goes. Also sorry for not getting back right away, my girlfriend tested positive for covid, so that's kept me rather busy. We're both healthy, so I'm thankful for that!!!

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the advice everyone!!! I've learned a lot already! I think me and my buddy are gonna give the head gaskets a shot. What do you think, replace them with the motor in our out of the truck? I'll for sure let you know how it goes. Also sorry for not getting back right away, my girlfriend tested positive for covid, so that's kept me rather busy. We're both healthy, so I'm thankful for that!!!

It wouldn't be too hard to do it in the truck, but if you want to you can (reseal/paint it while you're at it).

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Hopefully it will be a speedy recovery