Head gasket repair or crate motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ross Fellrath

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Hey I've got a 1988 V10 Suburban with a 350. Its got 160,000 or so. I'm pretty sure I've got a head gasket leak, because I've got white smoke and I'm losing coolant. I'm thinking about putting a crate in it instead of the head gasket and was looking for opinions. Its just my work truck so not trying to spend too much, but buying a new truck is expensive these days. I figured you guys and gals probably know the best way to attack this. I'm a decent mechanic, but don't like to spend tons of time on things. Thanks for any advice you might have.

Ross

Ross Fellrath

Reaction score
Just get a lower mile motor from the wrecker and spap over all your stuff. Other than that just new oil and coolant, exh gaskets and spark plugs. Oh and renting a engine picker for the weekend.
Yeah that's a good way, does it matter which 350 I grab, say certain years or whatever? This is a TBI motor. Thanks!

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
Check your wallet and then check with local parts stores, I was able to get a vortec long block delivered to Alaska for around $2500.
If you get a used engine from a scrap yard there is no telling for sure what you will end up with.
I did the wrecking yard option once with a 4 cylinder Toyota engine and was told it was compression tested, but it wouldn't even make one full turn (bent rod). Buyer beware!

Ross Fellrath

Reaction score
Check your wallet and then check with local parts stores, I was able to get a vortec long block delivered to Alaska for around $2500.
If you get a used engine from a scrap yard there is no telling for sure what you will end up with.
I did the wrecking yard option once with a 4 cylinder Toyota engine and was told it was compression tested, but it wouldn't even make one full turn (bent rod). Buyer beware!
Yes you can get a pretty good deal on a crate. My wallet is ok, I've been lucky to be working through the entire pandemic. $2500 is a lot cheaper than 25k for a new used truck.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!!
Though these peo
I noticed no one has suggested replacing the head gaskets. Is that kind of the deal?

I'd replace them, since it seems that there is no coolant intrusion in the oil.

Also because of that, I'd wben suggest some head gasket sealer (not the cheap stuff that clogs your radiator).

Something like steel seal.

Anyways, though people on this forum are helpful, I'd suggest you join the GMSquarebody forum.

Also check some of my stuff out.
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/thread...-truck-that-arguable-doesnt-deserve-it.29533/

Ross Fellrath

Reaction score
Though these peo

I'd replace them, since it seems that there is no coolant intrusion in the oil.

Also because of that, I'd wben suggest some head gasket sealer (not the cheap stuff that clogs your radiator).

Something like steel seal.

Anyways, though people on this forum are helpful, I'd suggest you join the GMSquarebody forum.

Also check some of my stuff out.
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/thread...-truck-that-arguable-doesnt-deserve-it.29533/

Ok thanks I did try the good head gasket sealer last year, but it didn't really do it. I see, so that's the forum for this truck, even though it's an 88? You did a nice job on that truck!