Head gasket repair or crate motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The .028-.030 heads gaskets are the best compromise, but I have run the standard issue fel-pro .039-040's with no noticeable effects several times. The .040's start at .045 or so which is better if you're dealing with less then stellar surfaces where the .028 or a shim might not get the job done with less "crush" No way I would run a shim gasket on anything other then a fresh decked surface and milled heads.

Imho, on an old tbi this job usually involves a broken exhaust manifold bolt or two.

Op, if you have other leaks, and the means to do it. Pulling the engine, putting it on a stand and doing a complete gasket set, rear main seal, maybe a timing chain if needed, may be the way to fly.

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good god. Check the heads for flatness with a machine bar, check the deck too.
Check the heads for cracks
Clean em up and put some head gaskets on it and drive it
It aint a ferrari.
Its a low compression 350 smog motor.
Its easy
all you need to do is follow the very well documented procedures for torqueing and sealing the headgaskets and the intake on a chevy 350.
And flush the block and put a new water pump on it

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How mechanically inclined are you? If the only thing wrong is head gaskets it’s cheaper to do the head gaskets and have the heads checked/worked or just buy redone ones than to do a crate engine. 160,000 isn’t much in mileage, so if money is tight you can do headgaskets for a fraction of the cost of a engine.
You can buy a core engine cheap and then get a rebuild kit and rebuild it for a fraction of buying a crate.

if the current engine is on its way out then got a crate and be done. I would wait until around after thanksgiving or around Christmas cause I’ve seen these TBI crates from some online GM dealers for $15/$1600 shipped on special.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you pressure tested the cooling system? Intake manifold gasket is a common failure, can leak coolant into the engine.

Then You might want to check cylinders for coolant, do some compression tests.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the advice everyone!!! I've learned a lot already! I think me and my buddy are gonna give the head gaskets a shot. What do you think, replace them with the motor in our out of the truck? I'll for sure let you know how it goes. Also sorry for not getting back right away, my girlfriend tested positive for covid, so that's kept me rather busy. We're both healthy, so I'm thankful for that!!!

Covid sucks, I already had it in August, as well as the rest of my family. My father spent 3 weeks in the ICU, and he is not a smoker, alcoholic, or even very overweight.

He's okay now, but it goes to show that you don't need and chronic illnesses to be affected hard.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why the pump?
because they are cheap and, you are gonna be taking a bunch stuff off of the front of the engine anyway and at 160k a new water pump is good insurance.
Basically SBC parts are so cheap you should do what you can while your in there.
At a buck sixty, as long as you didnt run it with milkshake looking oil and smoke bearings.
I would pull all of the plugs, pull the coil wire, unplug the injectors (all so it wont start)
Crank it over to blow any coolant out of it.
Especially if the coolant is seriously thinned out.
You dont want any rust or corroision happening while you decide what to do.
Run a compression test.
Go from there.
blown head gaskets on an SBC are not rare especially if someone else put head gaskets on it already.
And, dont try to use the loaner torque wrench from the parts store. They are wildly uncalibrated and you dont know if its been used as a hammer
Why the pump?

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Geez, a friend and his wife just got it too.
Ive known them for fourty years and they say it is the worst thing they have ever experianced.
350 head gaskets are easy, its a dirty nasty pain but they are easy.
Dont let people try to convince you that its nuclear reactor surgery.
It isnt,
Theyve been replaced on the side of the road and under trees and in snowstorms and every other place you can imagine.
And a lot of them have been swapped by high school kids.
A lot of them.
If you are in a big hurry, 3 hours.
If you have the time, a couple of casual weekend days including beer.
Nothing to it brother.
Hope you all get well fast.
I agree, soon after I got my '51 Studebaker running, I pulled the head and unstuck and cleaned up the valves.
I was done in less than 2 hours, but it is a flathead, so they are easy.

(I EVEN REUSED THE ORIGINAL 70 YEAR OLD GASKET SINCE IT IS COPPER)

I've also done the headgaskets on inboard v8 boat motors, and they are usually pretty easy as well.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree, soon after I got my '51 Studebaker running, I pulled the head and unstuck and cleaned up the valves.
I was done in less than 2 hours, but it is a flathead, so they are easy.

(I EVEN REUSED THE ORIGINAL 70 YEAR OLD GASKET SINCE IT IS COPPER)

I've also done the headgaskets on inboard v8 boat motors, and they are usually pretty easy as well.
Yep, I watched my Dad head gasket a Dodge windsor flathead using layers of newspaper and shellac.
He didnt even bother cutting the holes round it just burnt the excess and blew out the exhaust.
He drove that car home from eastern washington over snoqualmie pass.
Them old boys knew how to get **** done when **** needed to get done