H E L P 1989 350 2wd shortbox power steering pump issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my original power steering pump was leaking and whining really bad after about 20 minutes of driving....so I ordered a cardone replacement ....the bolt holes didnt line up with the serpentine bracket - the filler tube hits the bracket before you can rotate the pump to line up the three holes...I dented it during all this mess so i couldnt return it .....so I figured ok I will buy a rebuilt GM pump from Rock Auto and that wont be wrong....well I got the pump today and it doesnt fit either...its the same story the holes do not line up with the bracket and the filler neck hits the serpentine bracket ???????? My original pump has that little solenoid on the back bottom of it and these replacements have the hole there to accept the solenoid so I am assuming they are the same style .

Has anyone else run into this and can give me a correct p/n ?

Question you cannot "clock" the pump by forcibly rotating the pump inside its chassis right ...I see it has a threaded rod that goes through the pump chassis through to its backside..... I am assuming that locks it into position so you cant rotate it .

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Here is a pic showing the holes not lining up......and the neck hitting the bracket up top , the hump at the bottom hitting the bracket etc......

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Have you brought the old pump to a parts store to compare side by side at all?

I had a similar problem with a starter not fitting with my truck. It turns out that what I thought was an original 1993 350 manual trans designed engine is actually an 1987-ish auto trans engine - unknown displacement.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a pic showing the holes not lining up....original pump is on the right ...if you were to rotate the wrong pump to make the holes align the pump filler neck will hit the bracket..... also on the back notice the low pressure return pipe exits the center of the pump body on the original whereas the "wrong" one exits down near the bottom left

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one on the right looks like it has an EVO solenoid on it. That came out in 96 or 97. Was there a wire connected to it?

I would almost suspect that someone grabbed a bracket with pump out of a junkyard and swapped it into your truck. I’m not entirely sure that it would be a direct bolt-up to a TBI, someone can probably chime in on that, unless they swapped the engine along with it?

To resolve it, I’d say you need a pump from a 97 or 98 and either transfer the solenoid, internal valve and fitting or get the bypass kit. The hose would also be different for an EVO pump.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought about what you said...since I have ordered two pumps and they do not fit what I will try to do is find a part number on the serpentine bracket and chase it backwards and hopefully find the truck or car it possibly belongs in and try to match up a pump that way ....does anyone have any ideas here ????

Have you brought the old pump to a parts store to compare side by side at all?

I had a similar problem with a starter not fitting with my truck. It turns out that what I thought was an original 1993 350 manual trans designed engine is actually an 1987-ish auto trans engine - unknown displacement.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one on the right looks like it has an EVO solenoid on it. That came out in 96 or 97. Was there a wire connected to it?

THANKS for replying ....Sounds reasonable ....there was no wire connected to it but the steering felt ok to me ......
let me lookup a 97 pump ...what does EVO mean and how do I order the bypass kit ?

I would almost suspect that someone grabbed a bracket with pump out of a junkyard and swapped it into your truck. I’m not entirely sure that it would be a direct bolt-up to a TBI, someone can probably chime in on that, unless they swapped the engine along with it?

To resolve it, I’d say you need a pump from a 97 or 98 and either transfer the solenoid, internal valve and fitting or get the bypass kit. The hose would also be different for an EVO pump.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bypass kit deletes the solenoid and the offset fitting that the line connects to. It instead has the large fitting that goes into the pump and a curved pipe to connect to the hose.

A non-EVO has a different hose to compensate for the different connection.

Some pumps come with this already installed, saving the $60 that most places charge for it.

Thinking about it, I’m not sure how they would swap the brackets from a vortec to a TBI. The alternator and a/c compressor on a vortec are reversed from where they are on a TBI. They are noticeably different...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1995-99-Taho...2-MR-PARTOUT-/282616310539?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

Strange.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or just get an EVO-type pump without the bypass and use a hose for a pre-EVO to connect to it. The EVO is electric variable orifice or something like that. It used readings from a sensor on the steering column to boost power steering assist at low speeds (parking lots) but tended to get flaky as the years went on.

Rather than come up with a permanent fix, GM said to just delete it and offered the bypass kit.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I guess I will bite the bullet and buy a 97 pump and try that ...will also try and buy the bypass device YIKES like $80 and ships in 1-2 months on Amazon ???? Will have to source from somewhere else . Here is the basic evo explained ...Many thanks will let you know how it all
works out ......