H E L P 1989 350 2wd shortbox power steering pump issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some of the parts store brands have the bypass included. Look for one with the tube passing under the pump.

You must be registered for see images attach

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GREAT TIP .....I just ordered that pump - they had it in stock ....will let you all know if it fits tonight...thanks for all the help guys !!!

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looked at the engine pics in your build thread. The serpentine brackets on your engine look like they are from a car. Either a B-body or and F-body. Might want to try one of those applications for the correct pump.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looked at the engine pics in your build thread. The serpentine brackets on your engine look like they are from a car. Either a B-body or and F-body. Might want to try one of those applications for the correct pump.

Tx very much ...picked the 97 pump up just now will be trying that tonight..... when I pulled the trashed motor and was pulling the tranny and driveshaft I noticed they weren't original - "Caprice" was written in grease pencil on the driveshaft and 50k miles written in grease pencil on the 700r (junkyard picks my guess) which I think I decoded to a 1993 ? Wondering if it is a Caprice serpentine setup possibly ?

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a pic of an 89 serpentine bracket for a gmc - this is NOT what is in my truck :( ..... If the new pump doesnt work tonight I guess I will start looking for what car this serpentine setup came out of looking at bracket p/n's :(

Last edited:

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A Caprice is a B-body, so that makes sense. Cardone 20-7901 looks like what you need to me.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
97 pump didn't fit.... Here is my bracket GM PART NO 10105264 ... It's looking like this is EDIT * a 93 BUCIK ROADMASTER serpentine setup.....so I am going to order a EDIT 1993 BUICK ROADMASTER pump and try that...... Many thanks .

*** EDIT bracket info GM P/N 10105264
  • Other Names:Alternator Mount Bracket
  • Description:
    With variable effort steering,
THIS PART FITS
Make Model Year Body & Trim Engine & Transmission
Buick Commercial Chassis 1993 Base 5.7L V8 - Gas
Buick Commercial Chassis 1992 Base 5.7L V8 - Gas
Buick Roadmaster 1993 Base, Estate Wagon, Limited 5.7L V8 - Gas
Buick Roadmaster 1992 Base, Estate Wagon, Limited 5.7L V8 - Gas

Last edited:

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bracket p/n 10105264 definitely crosses to a 1993 BUICK ROADMASTER lol...... so I will be buying one of those pumps now and hopefully finally put this to bed after 3 different pumps.....

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow what a pain, sorry the truck pump didn’t work out but maybe you’re on the right track with the Buick pump.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow what a pain, sorry the truck pump didn’t work out but maybe you’re on the right track with the Buick pump.

Yes for sure a pain ....thats pump number 3 lol.....but there shouldnt be any way I can get it wrong now since the GM bracket p/n M U S T match up at least to the hole pattern on the 93 BUICK ROADMASTER pump one would think ....fingers crossed .... next I will have to deal with crossing hoses and that stupid EVO valve .......hopefully the evo valve simply bolts on to the new pump if there is room for it next to the low pressure return pipe.....

Last edited: