H E L P 1989 350 2wd shortbox power steering pump issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What vehicle is the block out of? Might as well try to find a salvage yard bracket with the pump still on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why don't you pull the pump out of the reservoir, re-clock the pump so it fits, and push it back into the reservoir?

Worst case, you need a new seal kit because maybe you tore an O-ring or something.

Procedure should be in the GM service manual--either the service manual, or the "Unit Repair" manual.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So Im back again ...after trying a few stop whine / leak magic potions and vacuuming the power steering system to stop the whine its still whines after driving it for 30 minutes......I decided to buy a used serpentine bracket with a pump and pulley still on it off Ebay ....I found one off a 1992 Camaro with a 305 on Ebay for 40 bucks shipped . I figured it was worth the gamble. I started to put it on tonight but the mosquitos here in Fla. chased me inside before finishing it. It looks like alignment wise with the other pulleys and alternator width wise its going to work. I flushed it with some ps fluid on the bench , cleaned ,detailed and painted it also . Wish me luck tomorrow when I finish the install and take it for its first ride and hear silence hopefully, no leaks and no whine .

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool....
took a few weeks for my truck to get ALL the air out of the ps pump when i replaced mine. the wine went away on it's own

This pump had 186k on it so I guess it was due....I tried everything , vacuum pumping the system, jacking the front end up several times turning wheels lock to lock etc.... Even though I have been driving it - its not getting any better so I am pretty sure its just shot . Hopefully this new (used) pump works .

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool....

This pump had 186k on it so I guess it was due....I tried everything , vacuum pumping the system, jacking the front end up several times turning wheels lock to lock etc.... Even though I have been driving it - its not getting any better so I am pretty sure its just shot . Hopefully this new (used) pump works .
i see i think i ended up getting 1 from advance auto if you buy it on line and pick it up in the store i get 20% off sometimes 25%..... oh yeah hey guys coupon code SPPF14 = 25% off 50 bucks or more thru the 21st. order on line pick up in store or free shipping to your house over 25 bucks...i don't work for or am affiliated with them in any way.just thought someone could use 25% off

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Happy to report the 92 305 Camaro serpentine bracket and its included power steering pump replacement off ebay worked fine . If anything this pump feels less wonky- loose going down the road as the previous mystery pump had an EVO valve on it with no electrical connection . NO WHINE finally !!!

Last edited: