Good/Better/Best Trans Cooler Hose Connections?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my 205k mi suburban put me on the side of the interstate yesterday. A trans cooler line came off at the oil cooler. It's an aftermarket cooler with rubber hose pushed onto the barbed fitting pictured below. Obviously I didnt tighten the worm screw hose clamp enough... Guess I was afraid the end of the hose wouldn't hold up.
There's a couple options for a permanent fix and I'd appreciate your input!
1) Tighten the crap out of the worm gear hose clamp that's on there and keep an eye on the hose.
2) Get a pack of these smooth-inside hose clamps: $15/92pc Amazon
3) Upgrade to braided nylon or steel hoses and cobble together 6AN and NTP connections to the cooler $60 Amazon $200 Summit Racing
Any other approaches that you like?

You must be registered for see images attach

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Option 2 is designed for high pressure fuel injection so they should work just fine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clamps on rubber hoses don't so much "loosen", as the rubber hose cold-flows from under the clamp.

The non-shielded worm-gear clamps are disasters. The one thing they have going for them is that they cover a large size range. Adding an inner shield helps a lot--but those shielded clamps cost more so are enormously less-popular.

The "Fuel Injection" clamps like you linked to are wonderful, but have a more-restricted sizing ability. More part numbers are needed to accommodate tubing size and hose wall thickness.

The "gold standard" for automotive use would be the 37-degree taper-sealing fittings commonly but incorrectly called "AN"; along with the wonderful hose they're intended to be used with. Rubber-based hose is nice, the Teflon (PTFE) liner stuff is even better. Like all hose, though, you'd only use as much hose as absolutely required with the rest of the plumbing done with hard tubing.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the end of the hose is hardened, flared, or cracked with age, cut it back to good hose. If it's hardened, buy some new hose. Get oil-resistant hose, not fuel hose.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After driving all over town looking for shielded hose clamps... I ordered a set online. She's my daily driver, so for now I just tightened up the other hose clamps and put the grille back on. I was amazed by how loose the other hose clamps had become!! They've been on there for ~4 months 4k miles and were waaaayyy looser than when installed. Big lesson learned there for me.
(When I replaced the transmission, I added a second aux cooler so I have a couple short runs of hose crossing back and forth to plumb them in series.)

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Hard line as much as possible and oil hose for the rest with good (lined) hose clamps.

AN hose and ptfe more so is like killing a mosquito by throwing an aircraft carrier on it.