Gmt800 electric fans mounting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed one a few years back, would not keep my 350 cool towing in the dead heat of August Texas summer and went back to a mechanical.

You must be registered for see images attach

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed one a few years back, would not keep my 350 cool towing in the dead heat of August Texas summer and went back to a mechanical.

Any idea why? Is it a van thing?
My truck gats used for truck stuff in summer in north Carolina. 100+ some days, 99.999% humidity. However, most i pull is a car on an open trailer. Usually its a dolly, flat tow, or lawnmower to the church/folks place/scout hut. And thats only occasionally.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

A buddy of mine had the same problem at altitude with his big block 98 Suburban. At 6k ft it was fine, at 10k ft the temp gauge would start climbing.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Come to think of it my buddy down the road from me has a rebuilt/restored 73 F-100 2wd with a rebuilt 390 and C6. His electric fan couldn't keep up. I gave him a GMT400 trans cooler and that brought the trans temp and engine coolant down some but not enough. He even fabricated a nice aluminum shroud to no avail. Finally went back to a mechanical fan.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any idea why? Is it a van thing?
My truck gats used for truck stuff in summer in north Carolina. 100+ some days, 99.999% humidity. However, most i pull is a car on an open trailer. Usually its a dolly, flat tow, or lawnmower to the church/folks place/scout hut. And thats only occasionally.
110° in the shade and the a/c blasting. Have a large trans cooler in front of the condenser that covers the whole radiator. Those electrics pull half the CFM of a good clutch fan at 2,000 rpm. It would run cool at idle all day, actually put a load on it at low speeds and it would get hot. I am thinking the vans body moght have something to do with it too. Notice GM has never even put electrics on the vans even with the little 4.3 V6s.