93 C1500 fan clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 93 C1500 suburban and need to replace fan clutch. I don't think it's engaging and there is evidence of oil leaking out on spring on the clutch.

I'm confused on which one to buy. I've read threads here where it's best not to buy "heavy duty" if you have standard, etc. so was thinking I'd find exact for my truck and not guess. However, that's harder than I thought. I'm just looking at ACDelco clutches thinking it'd be easier to find original.
RockAuto has a standard (1580278) and a heavy duty(1540109). That same heavy duty clutch is listed as only option at Autozone and Oreily's.

So I thought I'd go on nemigaparts.com and see if I could find original P/N for my truck.
On that, there are many, many variations - most with some comment on "fan blade stampings". The only stampings on my fan I found were "B" on the rivets which are not any of the fan stamping options in that list. What/where are the fan stampings? what I see on the rivets?

I have RPO code V02 (heavy duty radiator/trans cooling) and C60 (manual A/C). Of course, all the lists there seem to show those two options as mutually exclusive. eg. The heavy duty 1540109 clutch shows for usage :
CK309(03-53) 5.7K(L05),3.73R(GT4),4.10R(GT5),4.56R(HC4),HVY DUTY RAD(V01),HVY DUTY RAD & TRANS OIL CLR(V02),(EXC A/C MAN CONT(C60). - V02 makes sense but excluding the C60 for whatever reason.

So I was just going to get the heavy duty 1540109 based on I have the V02 RPO but noticed the clutch on the truck looks like a standard - though I could have replaced it wrongly at some time in the past perhaps. I've owned the truck since new and don't remember everything I've fixed/replaced on it.

Not the biggest problem but wondering if anyone has insight/knowledge on what's what here. It just bugs me when things don't make sense.
Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're in Arizona...if I were you, I'd put the heavy duty one on it.

X2.

My '97 K1500 Suburban originally had an HD fan clutch and I erroneously replaced it with an SD a few years back. AC performance has suffered since. If you have a Suburban with rear AC, IMO the truck should probably have an HD fan clutch for best results.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're in Arizona...if I were you, I'd put the heavy duty one on it.
^^^ X3:lol:

For my 88 truck O'Reillys shows 3 options Standard, Heavy Duty, and Severe Duty. I have the Severe Duty and the 11 blade fan for maybe a year now - works great and the fan is quieter than the old 5 blade POS. :biggrin:

Edit: Make sure you get the correct rotation clutch too.