Fan clutch replacement- orig part number

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcain226

Reaction score
88 C1500 5.7- I’m changing the original water pump because it is leaking from weep hole.
While I’m there, I’m am going to also change the thermostat, radiator hoses, coolant.
It was recommended to change the fan clutch since it is original; Is that good advice?
I am trying to cross reference the original part number and order a new one. The part number doesn’t match anything that I can find online. I ordered a new AC Delco based on entering my year, make and model, but it doesn’t match the original part. Pic of original part number attached. Part number shows 22008956 and also has 10 87, which I assume means it was made in 10/1987, but not sure.

Can anyone help with the original part replacement? Also, any reason to go with a heavy duty over standard?

Thanks!

Attachments

• E94A08D4-78B7-45B5-8B01-A4EEF1E43A11.jpeg
    E94A08D4-78B7-45B5-8B01-A4EEF1E43A11.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 13

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Heavy duty" and "Severe duty" fan clutches are NOT recommended for most automotive fans. The pitch of the fan blades is not great enough, the Heavy- and Severe-duty clutches will never properly disengage.

Which is exactly why some folks brag up about how much "better" they cool. The clutch never releases like it should.

If this were me, I'd just look up the appropriate clutch in whatever parts catalog (paper or computer-based) was handy. The "ACDelco" unit you have is probably correct, but potentially made by a different supplier than the original.

If you change the hose clamps from the originals, be sure to NOT use cheap-junk unshielded worm-gear clamps as sold by every parts-store in America. Use shielded clamps, or non-worm-gear clamps.

Photo of damage done to hoses by unshielded worm-gear clamps; and "fuel injection" clamps that don't have the slots in the band that causes the damage.
You must be registered for see images attach