Gear oil in a g80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine oil and gear lube are different products with different additive packages.
Yeah, I figured there was probably a difference, but how much difference? I don't know. I think you were on the right track with your conjecture that they used substandard sealant. It's easier to blame someone else's synthetic oil than to admit to something that might result in them having to pay out to reseal ten thousand diffs.

Rocket Surgeon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
know this: there are multiple types of RTV, but one of the most important differences is to know that there are sensor safe and ones NOT safe for sensors. Probably a type that is not sensor safe, and therefore cheaper and of lower quality, was used. Sensor safe is required around the engine, obviously.

Not concerned about synthetic, but I would think using Permatex Motoseal in place of RTV on both my full floaters would resolve this problem.

I'd still like definitive brand info on which to use...

and... only one of my 14FFs has a G80... but this is not the best place for that question.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The differential cover gasket/sealer, and on the full-float axle, the axle shaft-to-hub seal.

The axle seals are thin paper gaskets on the GMT-800 11.5" axle that uses the 10.5" hubs, so I'd expect the 10.5" 14bff to use the same gaskets.

If GM didnt use rtv, AAM likely wasnt either during the gmt-400 era as AAM had been part of gm....literally the same facilities.

There are two areas I wonder about....the pinion housing gasket and the tube to pumpkin seal. Tube to pumpkin interface is sealed with a thick red Loctite product. I have no idea on the number.