Gauge cluster swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Tough call. I'd give it a "maybe" at best. Looking at the circuits on them I have noticed the 1995 model does actually say '1995' on it, and there's enough one-year-only parts on a 1995 that would make me have a little bit of doubt on interchange with later years.

Richard

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
I think 95 has a different connector, I would look for a 96-98 one

Sent from my awesome S5

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
The connectors are the same. I have a 2000 Escalade cluster in my 95. The swap was plug-and-play and is 100% functional, so I would imagine that a 95 cluster would work fine in a newer GMT400.

frontiersman

Reaction score
My truck is a 1990 Z71 with the 5.7, no tach in the cluster. I recently bought a wrecked 1993 with the same size motor, and it has a tach. Can I swap it, or will it require some wiring?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of wiring and also the addition of a DRAC module. You're gonna need some parts and some guidance. There's a write-up on doing this kind of swap, I think originally it was posted on Fullsizechevy.com - the pics kept going dead so I hosted them, dunno the direct link to that post or if it's been copied anywhere else.

Plenty of people have done it; it's no monster of a job, just a bit of wiring work for the most part.

Richard

tierneyj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of it myself on my 93 and its really not too bad to set the odometer, just takes some time. Also a tip, start setting it from the far left and when that one is where you want it, hold the metal clip to the right of the number until it lines up on the back side with the stationary black notch. This allows the plastic strip to hold the numbers so it doesn't just roll in the dash freely while you drive. It really isn't too bad.