Gauge Cluster for 1992 k2500hd with the tachometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ldonohue06

Reaction score
My 1992 K2500hd with the 5.7 v8 and a 4-speed manual didn't come with a tachometer, can I replace the whole cluster for one that does have an RPM gauge? I have only been able to find a few on ebay and they all have the automatic transmission gear indicator, so I was wondering if the manual option ever had an RPM gauge and if so where to find one. If not it already has an aftermarket RPM gauge on the steering column but it goes to 8k, so what is the actual redline/limit for my truck?

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The manual trucks just have a plate over the spot where the PRNDL indicator would be. You could swap that over from your manual cluster to the auto I believe. I think the V6 vs V8 tachs read differently. 92-94 is a direct swap. In 94 I think they switched to 0-80psi oil pressure gauge as opposed to the 0-60psi of the older needle gauges.

Manual trucks could be optioned with a tach. Don’t feel bad, mine doesn’t have one either. I have an ancient AutoMeter hanging by the ashtray.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The manual trucks just have a plate over the spot where the PRNDL indicator would be. You could swap that over from your manual cluster to the auto I believe. I think the V6 vs V8 tachs read differently. 92-94 is a direct swap. In 94 I think they switched to 0-80psi oil pressure gauge as opposed to the 0-60psi of the older needle gauges.

Manual trucks could be optioned with a tach. Don’t feel bad, mine doesn’t have one either. I have an ancient AutoMeter hanging by the ashtray.
All of the above is true. The auto to manual cluster conversion is as simple as taking the front off the cluster (do not need to remove needles to do this, just remove the clear window part and start lifting around the edges of the cluster between the black and white parts) and once apart, remove two screws from the front part to pull a plate out and replace it with yours. Or do like I did, lacking a manual plate, two pieces of electrical tape to cover the hole from the backside lol. You can ALSO swap over your odometer from the tachless to the tach cluster at the same time, so you can keep your current odometer reading without having to find a good way to sync the new cluster to the old reading.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just wash your hands really well first, or wear some nitrile gloves (powderless) because you'd be amazed how easy it is to leave finger smudges all over the black gauge face - and it's a little tricky to clean without leaving more marks that will annoy you later once you have it all back together. It has a very slightly textured finish that if you rub it with say a paper towel, it will leave bright spots as it wears the texture off.

Richard