1992 sierra k3500 temp. Cluster gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Salem1122

Reaction score
Hello there .. hope you’re doing well

From the other side of the word , I’ve bought recently my truck 1992 sierra K3500 (350 engine) , however , the temperature gauge was reading maximum ( 40 - 125) .. I was frustrated at the beginning and replaced water pump , thermostat.. cleaning radiator.. etc but issue remained the same .. so I decided to do troubleshooting, I put mechanical temp. Gauge and the temp reading was fine. Additionally I connected the temp sensor for the cluster out of the block and noticed it was reading ( ambient temp) around 70 degree in the cluster which is equal to 37 Celsius ( weather temp) .. with this , I concluded that , my truck is reading temp in Fahrenheit but the cluster range is (40 to 125) which I believe is Celsius !!

My question : is my troubleshooting right ? And if yes what could I do to convert it to Fahrenheit (100- 260)?

I thought about replacing the cluster with Fahrenheit ( 100 - 260) but then pressure will be in psi and speed will be in mile and instead of one issue I might have two issues lol !!!

Finally , sorry if I have vocabulary or grammar mistakes as English isn’t my native language

Cheers

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The water temp sensor will be the same part number, imperial F°, or metric C° , the cluster printed information is switched to metric. The indicator would be in same position regardless of the printed background. The temp sensor is reading " ohms '" and that signal is what the temp needle indicates.
Since your " over there and far away " it would benefit you greatly to download the OE ( original equipment) GM service manuals for your year truck, etc. Same years have more than one volume. If so get all that apply to your year. It is step by step easy to follow. All systems are covered, including wire diagrams, item locations, and many photo drawings.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Search at top with " service manuals " , a few paragraphs down the list you will find a member has links to pdf's. It helps greatly when your questions shift back and forth, metric to imperial numbers to identify if the number is 50° C, or 50 ° F. Good luck!

Salem1122

Reaction score
Problem solved

Today morning , I did some troubleshooting as I was doubting the temp. Sensor (which I bought locally recently) and replaced it with new temp sensor which I ordered a week ago from USA .. then problem solved and truck coolant temp is normal … thanks