Gas Gauge Wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally on my Burb I try not to let the fuel level get much below 1/4 tank if possible. In theory that's still 10 or 11 gallons. But let it get too low too many times and the fuel pump will get messed up. Not interested in replacing that anytime soon.....

That's why I made an access panel lol. I also try to fill up when it hits 1/2

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's why I made an access panel lol. I also try to fill up when it hits 1/2

What kills fuel pumps are partially plugged or completely plugged fuel filters. Change the fuel filter every 15k and the pump might outlast the motor.......

The fuel filters on these trucks have tiny, tiny pores, something ridiculous like .01 micron.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What kills fuel pumps are partially plugged or completely plugged fuel filters. Change the fuel filter every 15k and the pump might outlast the motor.......

The fuel filters on these trucks have tiny, tiny pores, something ridiculous like .01 micron.

Will do...always tried to change the fuel filter every few months

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol that's the point. One day wanna test it. I bet anything it has to touch or barely pass the E like it does the F before your out

Since I bought my 95 burb and got everything running well with just a few gallons of gas in the tank, I figured I'd do exactly this. Had about two gallons left in the can after draining the tank/replacing the pump/test driving. Plenty to run out of gas on the interstate, then get me to a gas station and feel the pain of the 43 gal tank ($96.50 on top of the 2-3 gal from that can).

Anyway, the needle was at this hash mark for about 25 miles of driving. I didn't take a pic after filling it up, but it's well past F. Before I go and screw things up, can I actually just pop the needle off and reposition it? It's not keyed or anything?

You must be registered for see images attach

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I bought my 95 burb and got everything running well with just a few gallons of gas in the tank, I figured I'd do exactly this. Had about two gallons left in the can after draining the tank/replacing the pump/test driving. Plenty to run out of gas on the interstate, then get me to a gas station and feel the pain of the 43 gal tank ($96.50 on top of the 2-3 gal from that can).

Anyway, the needle was at this hash mark for about 25 miles of driving. I didn't take a pic after filling it up, but it's well past F. Before I go and screw things up, can I actually just pop the needle off and reposition it? It's not keyed or anything?

Since it is so close and you know where empty is i would leave it alone unless it's inconsistent.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yeah these suburbans sure do love fuel lol. Some of the biggest fuel haulers I bet :)

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
To answer your question tho, yes you can just pop the needle off and reposition it - do it with the cluster installed and the truck on tho, because it isn't keyed and that shaft could go anywhere when power isn't applied. Use a regular everyday eating fork to pop off the needle.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer your question tho, yes you can just pop the needle off and reposition it - do it with the cluster installed and the truck on tho, because it isn't keyed and that shaft could go anywhere when power isn't applied. Use a regular everyday eating fork to pop off the needle.
Reading "overfull" is the classic sign of high resistance/corroded connections in the gas gauge wire harness. FIRST, you investigate the harness for signs of high resistance. That alone may fix the gas gauge accuracy problem.

Popping the needle off can work with stepper-motor gauges. Not sure how well it works with the older style balanced-coil gauge design. But either way...make sure the wire harness INCLUDING THE HARNESS INSIDE THE GAS TANK hasn't deteriorated before you dick with the gauge itself.

Yes, it's really common for the in-tank harness to corrode. A replacement in-tank harness is available at any real parts store, for $30 or less. Repairs to the external harness are done by standard harness procedures--cut out the damaged section, replace with fresh wire and clean connections.