Gas Gauge Wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny how so many of y'all have problems with the gas gauge. The one in this Burb is pretty accurate. If it says it's half a tank down, it'll take ~22 gallons. I don't top it off; when the pump shuts off, I stop. Topped off the 06 too many times, trying to get as much in the thirsty beast as I can, and got the code for the evap solenoid. Got to crawl up there and replace it, and deal with the so called quick disconnect fitting.....learned my lesson. And I try to only get gas at one Shell that I've never had bad gas from.

Same here I think lol. Does your gauge dance or twitch constant? Lol

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas gauge reads too high = excess resistance in the system; or a misadjusted float in the tank.

At least, that was true with the old analog gauges.

With the new stepper-motor gauges, you'd just yank off the needle, and reposition it so it reads right.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I got my 98 k1500, the gas gauge has read way past full and hits E when it still has a few gallons left. It’s a new fuel pump w/ sending unit so that shouldn’t be the problem. Also, it’s shown the same on multiple clusters. Wondering if there is any fix?

They're all like that.......

I even had the cluster on my 96 calibrated. The gauges are all "within specs".

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There’s no telling how accurate it is. I ran across it while playing around with the scanner and thought it was a neat trick.

Mine was pretty close (or close enough for government work with a 20+ year old truck) but 10 mpg times 26 gallons still says that a fill-up at 250 is safe. I ran out of gas once at 307 miles and then the trip odometer stopped working a week later. I replaced the sender after that, lol.

Speaking of trip odometers, did you repair it? If so what was wrong with it? Trip odometer on my 96 has stopped working.

Sorry to hijack.......

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Speaking of trip odometers, did you repair it? If so what was wrong with it? Trip odometer on my 96 has stopped working.

Sorry to hijack.......

It would hang on the 9/10 digit. It’s been a while now, but I think the red plastic coupler on the gear shaft had slipped. They’re easy to swap out if you have a spare cluster.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Personally on my Burb I try not to let the fuel level get much below 1/4 tank if possible. In theory that's still 10 or 11 gallons. But let it get too low too many times and the fuel pump will get messed up. Not interested in replacing that anytime soon.....

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally on my Burb I try not to let the fuel level get much below 1/4 tank if possible. In theory that's still 10 or 11 gallons. But let it get too low too many times and the fuel pump will get messed up. Not interested in replacing that anytime soon.....
Same here although I also try not to fill up when I have used less than half a tank too often because I believe that leads to fuel problems from stale gas never being completely replaced.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk