Gas Gauge Wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I got my 98 k1500, the gas gauge has read way past full and hits E when it still has a few gallons left. It’s a new fuel pump w/ sending unit so that shouldn’t be the problem. Also, it’s shown the same on multiple clusters. Wondering if there is any fix?

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I got my 98 k1500, the gas gauge has read way past full and hits E when it still has a few gallons left. It’s a new fuel pump w/ sending unit so that shouldn’t be the problem. Also, it’s shown the same on multiple clusters. Wondering if there is any fix?
Buy a German car. [emoji23][emoji16]
Just joking I don't know anything about German cars. I have learned to live with that in all my American cars none of them seem to read accurate. but then again maybe that's just because I buy cars that have close to 300,000 miles.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can track down a good scanner (Tech-2 or similar) you can command the gauge to different capacities (in 10% increments) and compare the scan reading to the gauge position. That may help verify accuracy.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
That does not work on the GMT400s. I have a Tech2 and can guarantee that. Even on the GMT800s you still can't control the gauge to that point, the cluster will only test the full sweep of all gauges at once. Even that isn't possible on the 400s because the cluster is still for the most part fully analog.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That does not work on the GMT400s. I have a Tech2 and can guarantee that. Even on the GMT800s you still can't control the gauge to that point, the cluster will only test the full sweep of all gauges at once. Even that isn't possible on the 400s because the cluster is still for the most part fully analog.

Hmm, it worked on my 98 with a counterfeit Tech2. There was a value for the fuel percentage and a way you could command the gauge to read certain percentages.

It seemed to track with the percentages reasonably well, but I still don’t think I’d trust any of these dash gauges with anything too important.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Hmm, it worked on my 98 with a counterfeit Tech2. There was a value for the fuel percentage and a way you could command the gauge to read certain percentages.

It seemed to track with the percentages reasonably well, but I still don’t think I’d trust any of these dash gauges with anything too important.

Hmm... I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time lol. I don't have much dealings with the 98-99 trucks after all. But I am fairly certain my 0411 doesn't have that capability, and I know my dad's 03 Suburban and Silverado don't.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There’s no telling how accurate it is. I ran across it while playing around with the scanner and thought it was a neat trick.

Mine was pretty close (or close enough for government work with a 20+ year old truck) but 10 mpg times 26 gallons still says that a fill-up at 250 is safe. I ran out of gas once at 307 miles and then the trip odometer stopped working a week later. I replaced the sender after that, lol.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Funny how so many of y'all have problems with the gas gauge. The one in this Burb is pretty accurate. If it says it's half a tank down, it'll take ~22 gallons. I don't top it off; when the pump shuts off, I stop. Topped off the 06 too many times, trying to get as much in the thirsty beast as I can, and got the code for the evap solenoid. Got to crawl up there and replace it, and deal with the so called quick disconnect fitting.....learned my lesson. And I try to only get gas at one Shell that I've never had bad gas from.