G80 swap questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So much good talk here guys, Thanks, and keep it up. All of this is making me lean more and more to my first choice. A powertrax no slip. Yea OK, it about $500, i know, but hope it is the rite choice. Keep in mind that this is the no slip, not the lock rite.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I'm aware that it's not ideal for longevity, but plenty of folks do it with no major problems. I mainly suggested it due to the budget concerns. Other than welding the spider gears, a mini spool is the cheapest option I'm aware of to lock the rear wheels with an open carrier.

I understand the reasoning. I considered one years ago for my Nova when I was building it. After extensive research and talking to people, it ends up not being that cheap. I did forget to mention the frame twisting that also occurs. Spools are best left to vehicles towed to the track or trail.

The primary reason I oppose it in this situation, if I recall, @kennythewelder ‘s truck is a daily driver, and he has a spirited driving style, and already goes through tires rather quickly. With a spool, I’d imagine he’d be replacing a set every oil change.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I understand the reasoning. I considered one years ago for my Nova when I was building it. After extensive research and talking to people, it ends up not being that cheap. I did forget to mention the frame twisting that also occurs. Spools are best left to vehicles towed to the track or trail.

The primary reason I oppose it in this situation, if I recall, @kennythewelder ‘s truck is a daily driver, and he has a spirited driving style, and already goes through tires rather quickly. With a spool, I’d imagine he’d be replacing a set every oil change.
Yes your rite. It is my daily driver, and I do have a lead foot. I had a X co worker tell me that I drive like Im a young man. Foot to the floor a lot, and most always pull away from trafic when the light turns green. You would think im 18, but Im 59. I never drive slow. I also take off fast turning into traffic, and this is the biggest raeson I have not done anything yet. I dont need traction for snow, it never snows here. My truck isnt going into the mud. It is a street truck. There is nothing I like better than when a turbo Sonata thinks he will leave me at the light when it turns green, and much to his supprise, he has to get behind me because that old white Chevy with the black strips on the hood is just faster than he is, as the road goes from 4 lane to 2 lane. Or when that jacked up diesel thinks he can out run me, and I leave him behind. Yes I know that there are diesels that can out run me, but most of them are not on the street. My truck is no beast, it is a 15 second 1/4 mile truck. One day I will do cam and heads, but it just runs to good for now. When the trans goes, I know a performamce shop to build it. I do have issues when it rains. That is the only time I drive slow.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ken I really think you'd be happier with a Truetrac or clutch style LSD. Both of my trucks have G80 diffs but neither have the 8.5 diff. The G80 is better off road or in situations where traction blows and you just need a little gas to get out. If you need to be WOT digging in 2nd and shooting a roost the G80 will be of little use just like your 1 wheel peel scenario. They wait until 1 tire is already off then slam bang lock up and go until they unlock around 30 mph. Definitely better than open, but really doesn't sound like what you are after.

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i got a 5 lug g80 gu6 from a 98 surburban 1500 with over 198k on it. locks up and chirps both tires when my little 209k 305 bangs second OVER 20 MPH the only mod is a vette servo on the 700r4....that being said i do have a detroit tru track waiting to go in.
the best thing is to find a rear from a 5 lug that has the same size rear brakes.my rear didn't have the large brakes and it was a pia

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, forgot the mention that my 88 C1500 did NOT have 30 spline axles, I think they were 28? Something to consider if you are going to go gravedigging for a G80.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I had a 2011 Colorado that I bought new with a G80. It was definitely a locker, I chained it up to a stuck truck in the dirt and it peeled one wheel at idle (5 speed) and then when I took the RPM up a bit I felt a shudder and the other wheel started spinning... Seems to me the wheels would stay locked until I let up off the gas. I recall driving it over ice & snow, dumping the clutch in 3rd or 2nd and grinning as I tossed the rear left and right while glancing at the speedo as it was indicating well beyond posted speeds :D

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a 2011 Colorado that I bought new with a G80. It was definitely a locker, I chained it up to a stuck truck in the dirt and it peeled one wheel at idle (5 speed) and then when I took the RPM up a bit I felt a shudder and the other wheel started spinning... Seems to me the wheels would stay locked until I let up off the gas. I recall driving it over ice & snow, dumping the clutch in 3rd or 2nd and grinning as I tossed the rear left and right while glancing at the speedo as it was indicating well beyond posted speeds :D

GM has re-used the G80 RPO code for several different optional carriers on several different vehicles over the years. They even used it for standard posi carriers in the 90s Camaros. The G80 in your Colorado was most likely a completely different design than the crappy Gov-Locks we got.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Could be! I have no idea other than it behaved like a locker. I wish they had different RPO's for the different types at least.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Kenny, the eaton gov-lock in an 8.5" half ton rear end was designed for the military to use on very light jeep-like vehicles. It was not designed to be behind a V8 in a half ton pickup.

You'd be better off with a powertrax than one of those. IIRC, there is one pin inside the powertrax that is supposed to be upgraded that makes it a very durable unit.