G80 - Any good in 14SF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
posi additive

That's probably a big part of your problem. There's a GM TSB that's been floating around for a long time that states not to use any friction modifier with our G80s. I made that mistake in my red truck for a while and had a really similar experience. I had it drained and replaced with ACDelco standard GL5 80W-90 and ran it for a while and the G80 is working again. It's still a crappy unpredictable 10 bolt G80 but getting rid of the friction modifier brought it back to life.

I can't find the link to the actual GM TSB but I found a post on ChevyTalk where @someotherguy quoted the relevant info.

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/256237

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
LoL if it's a 3.73 unit I'll gladly trade you for my 10 bolt non-G80 axle :D :D
It sure is 3.73! :Big Laugh: lol, that's what I liked about this truck when I bought it, didn't want 3.42's like my 98 when it was a half ton.

The G80 should help when I plow snow with it, but I did fine with my 98 that doesn't. Oh well, I'll try it sometime here to see if it will be something that I like, or won't like. :)

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
It sure is 3.73! :Big Laugh: lol, that's what I liked about this truck when I bought it, didn't want 3.42's like my 98 when it was a half ton.

The G80 should help when I plow snow with it, but I did fine with my 98 that doesn't. Oh well, I'll try it sometime here to see if it will be something that I like, or won't like. :)

Well please don't like it haha. When you end up hating it, remember this post and if I haven't already tripped over one I'll gladly take it off your hands once we agree to a price & what not. :D

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's probably a big part of your problem. There's a GM TSB that's been floating around for a long time that states not to use any friction modifier with our G80s.
Thanks for that. I had no idea.

I've got gallons of gear lube here--mostly Amsoil--that is advertised as having the posi additive already in the mix. That's what I filled the axle with.

AMSOIL Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. If limited-slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip-Lock® friction modifier additive.​

Now I get to buy more gear lube that doesn't have Posi additive...and I'm not sure where to get it aside from a GM Stealership.

Recommendations?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I had no idea.

I've got gallons of gear lube here--mostly Amsoil--that is advertised as having the posi additive already in the mix. That's what I filled the axle with.

AMSOIL Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. If limited-slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip-Lock® friction modifier additive.​

Now I get to buy more gear lube that doesn't have Posi additive...and I'm not sure where to get it aside from a GM Stealership.

Recommendations?

You're welcome!

I buy mine from Amazon, ACDelco part number 10-4051. Here's a link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q10F3S

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting:

It is for use in passenger cars only, and is not intended for use in trucks.​

Which seems to be the opposite of what the GM bulletin specifies.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting:

It is for use in passenger cars only, and is not intended for use in trucks.​

Which seems to be the opposite of what the GM bulletin specifies.

Yeah I'm not sure why that's written on the bottle, it's the right stuff though. I double checked with the parts department at my local dealer. It's what superseded the part number listed in that TSB.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could that note be in reference to large tractor trucks? ...and grouping pickup/"light duty" trucks with passenger cars?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could that note be in reference to large tractor trucks? ...and grouping pickup/"light duty" trucks with passenger cars?

That was my line of thinking as well, who knows though.