fuel pump???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys.
My fuel pump went out in my 96.
Was wondering if there is an upgrade that I can buy.
Or just get a stock replacement.
Not much performance wise at the moment, but plans are in the works.
Thanks

Snotrocket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just get a stock delphi replacement. Cheaper isn't better in this case. They're pretty easy to change once you get the tank dropped.

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't AC Delco the stock replacement?
I read somewhere on here that delphi's suck?
Am I mistaken?
And I was wondering if there was something I could do to upgrade the performance.
I try not to buy anyrhing cheap for my truck.
I appreciate the answer just kinda confused.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ACDelco and Delphi are equal in my book, as far as GM fuel pumps go. I wouldn't doubt that Delphi makes the ACDelco pump. As far as performance goes, just get a stock replacement. I'm fairly certain that you'll run out of injector long before the pump maxes out.

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok cool. Thank you guys.
Another question I had was, I kinda half ass remember reading about a mod you could do to the regulator?
Does that make any sense to any of you?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok cool. Thank you guys.
Another question I had was, I kinda half ass remember reading about a mod you could do to the regulator?
Does that make any sense to any of you?

Hmmm... none that I know of with the Vortec setup. There are several that can be done to the TBI FPR, like the quarter mod, adjustable FPR, etc. None of those apply to the Vortec CSFI.

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now I'm not sure if it is the fuel pump.
Has anybody had one go out then come back?
Three weeks ago, I was coming home from work ajd the truck died and wouldn't start.
Got it towed home and it started right up.
Then a week ago, same thing.
And my dumbass didn't have tools or anything.
So it has been parked pretty much ever since.
Does that sound like a fuel pump on its way out?
Or a spider injector?
Oh and both times it was above 105 degrees outside.
And i was on the freeway, so could not hear if the pump was going on or not.
First time it had a full tank of gas, second time half tank.
Thanks again for all the help.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could very well be the fuel pump. If it does not kick on hit the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet and see if it kicks on. If it still dont my guess would be pump is out.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
AC Delco or Delphi FTW!

DITO. anyone that has saved 20bucks on cheaper pump has had to turn around and replace pump again JUST AFTER THE YEAR WARRANTY ENDS.
delphi all the way! i replaced mine about 2years ago. mine just straight up went out while driving down interstate 65mph just... bla.... and coasted to a stop like WTF.
mine had been making loud whining for about 6months before so i just swapped mine out. pull the bed off is the easiest way to change pump! it doesnt sound easier but it really is! if ya got afew friends just unbolt it and have them lift the bed off and set it on some blocks or jacks. and do yourself and friends a favor. pull the rear wheels off to and bumper as well. makes it far easier and less risk of scratching up the bed while removing just incase one of your friends isnt as strong as they ask.LMAO
either way the fuel pump is alot cheaper and easier than the spider injection for dam sure! thats what id do first.