Fuel pump snap ring problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, Have never seen an actual snap ring to hold a GM fuel pump in place...ever!
Me neither.
1988 to mid-1997 GMT400 pickups will have the lock ring style retainer and skeleton-style exposed sender. Later 1997-up pickups will have the large snap ring retainer and what I fondly refer to as the "plastic trash can" pump assembly that is like a big spring-loaded bucket.
As the owner of a '97 GMT400 that has low-ish fuel pressure, I'd be REALLY INTERESTED in seeing photos of this "snap ring" style retainer before I drop the tank or rip the bed off.

The photos posted earlier in this thread don't seem to be the snap-ring style.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Me neither.

As the owner of a '97 GMT400 that has low-ish fuel pressure, I'd be REALLY INTERESTED in seeing photos of this "snap ring" style retainer before I drop the tank or rip the bed off.

The photos posted earlier in this thread don't seem to be the snap-ring style.
Huh? Sure seems like a lot of confusion over nothing. The photos posted earlier in this thread were not posted by the OP.

This is the "snap ring" style...about the 5 o'clock position you can see the small holes on either side of the plastic tab, that you put a snap ring tool into. This is on a '98 pickup; a '97 pickup can have either style from what I've seen. Snap ring pliers for this one...or hammer and a brass drift for the lock ring style. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I didn't use snap ring pliers.... I think I used a flat blade screw driver. It's not that hard to deal with. Putting it back in with a new pump and new rubber o-ring just needed some extra pressure. I think I greased the o-ring with die-electric (silicone) grease and likely made sure the snap ring was fully seated and adjusted with a flat blade and a hammer.

I'm still unclear how the pump could fall in.... I suspect something is broken/butchered. Maybe post some pictures?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm still unclear how the pump could fall in.... I suspect something is broken/butchered. Maybe post some pictures?

I believe somehow this whole thread is a big misunderstanding. Most of us are aware there's two kinds of senders used in this series of trucks; the older lock ring style and the newer snap ring style. OP said his pump was floating in the tank -

Has anyone ever had a problem with snap ring that retains fuel pump? I'm not talking about the twist on. Mine popped off and pump was floating in tank.

Which to me, meant that the snap ring popped off and the sender had popped up under its spring pressure and was bobbing around in the tank opening, which makes sense. I could be wrong, though.

I'm imagining that whoever installed it had a tough time compressing the springs down as the O-ring often fights the top of the sender as it is a tight seal, didn't get the snap ring installed correctly, and it eventually popped loose...or as I wondered earlier, if the retaining tabs for the snap ring are damaged from improper removal.

Richard

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am glad the vehicle has been identified. Information, rather than insults from the few, knowing what vehicle we are talking about is more helpful to fix a problem.

ES!!! My 1998 Suburban has a snap ring that retains the fuel pump in the tank. It does not use the twist in retainer. WOW SMART ASS!

I am glad the vehicle has been identified. Information for a specific vehicle or information regarding different generations of GM fuel pumps, is more helpful to fix a problem someone is having...

Twist Ring or snap ring, photo says a lot. I just wish the question was answered early on to provide better information, like asked...
What vehicle, year, engine, etc?

I have never seen a "Snap Ring" on anything use to hold a fuel pump in place and apparently neither has "Schurkey"
Me neither.

KEN, all I did was point out the fact that the OP stated that he had a snap ring NOt a twist lock retainer. If you had bothered to read the opening post you would have seen that. You decided to come back with a flip answer and smart ass attitude to which I replied. If you cannot respond to posts with out having a know it all attitude don't expect folks here to tolerate it.

Yep, read it twice as a matter of fact. And thanks for your concern of my vision. Although I have worked on many Suburbans from one end to the other, never had the fuel tank out, so...Like some, others than me, have not seen a "Snap Ring" used.
My post was pointing out bottom or the older top referencing fuel pumps GM used. Also included was some information on the generations of GM fuel pumps. I don't see any "Flip Answers" much less anything offensive or too smart of an attitude.

If you truly feel this way, why read it? Hum! It's like TV, don't like the show, change the channel. Yes, after working from 1967 to 2009, both privately, professionally, I do know a lot, but not everything. No one can, ever!

Also, after almost 8 years with GM's retail side, hired as a "Legacy Instructor" having me hold single subject technical seminars and classes in 7 states. That experience has allowed me to retain a great deal of proper diagnostic prowess to help others understand how to find the "Root" cause of the problem, the same I used to make money quickly.

Thanks GM, because of the package they offered, 401K, SS and my IRA, I make more money each month than most do working 9 hrs per day.

Using your language and demeanor is not acceptable at most shops much less dealerships where it would get your fired.
I welcomed the public or owner into my work bays to discuss their vehicles issues or answer questions informed customer prior purchase questions on shift-on-the-fly w/TRW's magnetic coupled transfer case, so the "F" , "S" words where not in my vocabulary.

Perhaps welcome here due to your amenity. Your tag line must be obvious to those who know you....does not play well with others.
Sad to witness and hear.

I will keep you in my prayers while fishing tomorrow. Riding the motorcycle today for fun. Have a nice day!