Fuel pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow I don’t trust a $39.99 fuel pump off Amazon, even if the box does say AC Delco.
Yeah me too. A lot of folks swear by Walbro, Delphi, or AC Delco. I've had the EP381 I posted the link to for almost 3 years now running anywhere from 15 - 28PSI depending on how/which injectors I was playing with, until I settled on 20PSI.

10mm Nut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I did my TBI fuel pump a couple of weeks ago (when I snapped that picture I posted). I bought mine from Rockauto and it was Made in Mexico clearly printed on the box. I don't know if that makes you feel better than the China stuff or not but figured I'd throw it out there.

GM GENUINE EP386 from Rockauto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=90718&jsn=9

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah me too. A lot of folks swear by Walbro, Delphi, or AC Delco. I've had the EP381 I posted the link to for almost 3 years now running anywhere from 15 - 28PSI depending on how/which injectors I was playing with, until I settled on 20PSI.

I found there’s 2 different Delco. The better one like yours and the garbage one which is AC Delco advantage. The better unit has a black housing and does not include the strainer.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought mine from Rockauto and it was Made in Mexico clearly printed on the box. I don't know if that makes you feel better than the China stuff or not but figured I'd throw it out there.
Back in 05 - 08 I was commuting back and forth to our plant in Juarez. I'd drive by that Delphi plant every day. It was humongous!

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I did my TBI fuel pump a couple of weeks ago (when I snapped that picture I posted). I bought mine from Rockauto and it was Made in Mexico clearly printed on the box. I don't know if that makes you feel better than the China stuff or not but figured I'd throw it out there.

GM GENUINE EP386 from Rockauto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=90718&jsn=9

On the bed tipping, I have a couple questions. Do you remember what size the bolts are? Are there threaded holes in the bed? I’ve never removed one before. How tight were the bolts? I do have a 1/2” and 3/4” impact if needed. I have a receiver hitch. Will I need to drop it first?

10mm Nut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bed bolts take an 18mm socket. There are also three torx bolts around the fuel filler cap. I think they are T25 ?

I'm from Texas so my bolts came out very easy. They do have factory loctite on them so it took a 1/2 drive ratchet to remove them the first time.

The bolts thread up into the bed. The frame just has holes for the bolts to pass through.

On my short bed there are 8 bed bolts. The two front and two rear are easy to see as they are outside of the frame rails. The center 4 bolts you have to use a socket and extension up through round access holes in the bottom of the frame.

I wouldn't figure the receiver hitch will affect what you're doing unless it happened to block the two rear bed bolts.

To clarify, when I tip the bed I remove all four bolts on the driver's side and the two middle bolts on the passenger side (up through the access holes) but I leave the front and rear bolts on the passenger side in place but very loose. That allows the bed to tip very easily.

I put a small jackstand on the ground by the back wheel and lift the bed solo (it's not heavy really, I'm no weight lifter) and while I have it lifted I have my wife shove the jackstand between the bed and frame. This allows it to sit like my picture showed and there's plenty of easy access room to work without any difficulty whatsoever.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update: Still waiting on the NOS sender. Received the pump and screen(separate). The pump box says made in Brazil. AC Delco, not the advantage line.

I broke loose 6 of the 8 bed bolts. They don’t seem rusty. They feel like they have loctite possibly. The other 2 I will have to pull the receiver hitch to get at. I think I will also pull the rear bumper as I’ve seen a couple videos where guys dent the bed using the tipping method without removing the bumper.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Denso pump I put in my 94 rcsb 5.7 is made in Japan Denso makes many factory pumps for Toyotas and the others with very low failure rate vs other manufactures that all seem to fail in fairly short order . The AC pumps never impressed me for the long run too many failures too soon. Everybodys always changing them out of these trucks GM seems to have the most problems with factory electric pumps out of all the common makes t it seems.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I broke loose 6 of the 8 bed bolts. They don’t seem rusty. They feel like they have loctite possibly.
Sounds about right. God bless 135 psi, a "real" impact wrench, and impact swivel sockets.

The other 2 I will have to pull the receiver hitch to get at. I think I will also pull the rear bumper as I’ve seen a couple videos where guys dent the bed using the tipping method without removing the bumper.
When it was me, I had to pull the hitch, the bumper, (I had more trouble with those bolts than with the bolts holding the bed. I may have used oxy-acetylene to blow the nuts/heads off some of them) and I pulled the wire harness. Then I lifted the bed completely off the frame using chain, a 2x4 cut to length, and an engine hoist.

Fortunately, my bed has speed-holes in it so it's very light-weight. Never occurred to me to just tilt the bed--until I read about that on a forum.

Photo 1. Bed hanging from the hoist. Note that the chain is bolted around the hook, so the chain absolutely, positively cannot slide through the hook.
http://hbassociates.us/Fuel_Pump_1.JPG
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: