fuel pump problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevelknievel

Reaction score
long story short, my pump was already really loud, on my way to my dads i hit a pothole then a few yards after that it begins to run funny and pump dies. wait a few minutes and it kicks back on and gets me about a half mile. after i towed it to his house we hit it with some starting fluid and it would start right up and the pump would kick back on as soon as it started for a few minutes then shut off then after it sitting for an hour it wont do anything. so i drop the tank replace the pump and harness and now it wont kick on at all. its getting power at the relay and i replaced the relay so i know thats working. its not getting any power at the harness at the pump, does anyone know which wire(s) should be hot? or anyone have an idea whats causing this?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the 95 Tahoe used a higher pressure fuel pump than most of the other TBI pump's, or at least that's what I have read. Can you tell us what color wires are coming off of the top of the pump assembly.

jantzer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get a new one while it's out, they're reasonably cheap.

stevelknievel

Reaction score
you mean the ones for the harness? there was a purple, gray, black, black w/white stripe, and a pink one but my original wiring doesnt have the pink wire

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I suggest you run a temporary hot wire wire striaght from the batt. to the pump just to make sure the pump is working, and if it is you have eliminated one problem.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also I believe originally the grey wire was the hot wire for the fuel pump, but if your harness is now different and now has an extra pink wire then it could be different now.