Fuel pump or transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bm23

Reaction score
I have been having this issue on and off and it was previously fixed by filling the gas tank up. I can drive at around 2000 rpms in first and sometimes second, but once I get out on the road, I cant make it past 30 mph due to it lurching. It's a 95 350 tbi and the fuel pump has never been replaced.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's two dozen things this could be, so don't limit your diagnosis to fuel pump and transmission.

WHAT IS YOUR FUEL PRESSURE when the engine is running poorly?

When was the last time you replaced all the "tune-up" parts? Cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and then verified initial timing, timing advance, and cranking compression of all eight?

Does the hot-air valve on the air cleaner snorkel work right?

How often do you buy "Top Tier" (high detergent, which is NOT octane related.) fuel, or use a fuel system detergent like Techron?

How old is the O2 sensor?

Connect a scan tool, look at the data stream especially when the engine is acting up.

I think this is very unlikely to be transmission-related, but what color is the trans fluid? Is the fluid level correct when fully warmed-up?

I had a misfire--stalling--low power issue with my TBI; resolved by installing a new distributor shaft. The magnets and pickup coil had failed.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
^ yea

It very well could be the fuel pump but you'll want to test fuel pressure before replacing it.

I also doubt its the transmission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do you check for fuel pressure on the TBIs? I helped my buddy on his '90 truck.

He thought it was the fuel pump because he didn't see fuel on the bowls. We did more digging and found he did not have spark at plugs or coil. We then disconnected the fuel lines and fuel squirted out, so that ruled out fuel.

Finally narrowed it down to ICM or distr. pick up coil. New distributor came with both parts, and that solved the problem with no start.

Is there a way to check for actual pressure while running?

^ yea

It very well could be the fuel pump but you'll want to test fuel pressure before replacing it.

I also doubt its the transmission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to check for actual pressure while running?
Yes, you can get a kit from the auto parts store, that goes where the fuel filter does, or install you own permanently. Here's a link to an AFPR, fuel pressure adapter, and gauge, scroll down to see them.
http://www.rvmorsemachine.com/product.htm

Here's what mine looks like, you have to bend the MAP sensor vacuum tube down a little to clear the adjusting screw.
You must be registered for see images attach

Installed on the motor (5.7L) set @28PSI with a 28PSI spring, LOL.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, you can get a kit from the auto parts store, that goes where the fuel filter does, or install you own permanently. Here's a link to an AFPR, fuel pressure adapter, and gauge, scroll down to see them.
http://www.rvmorsemachine.com/product.htm

Here's what mine looks like, you have to bend the MAP sensor vacuum tube down a little to clear the adjusting screw.

Installed on the motor (5.7L) set @28PSI with a 28PSI spring, LOL.

Awesome! Maybe the OP needs to invest in one of these. Isn't TBI something like 12 psi?

90lsx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a problem similar to that, it ended up being the hose that connected from the pump to the hat.