Fuel Pump Assembly: What Brand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy,

Either I have bum 5-0 Motorsports injectors or my fuel pressure is too low (getting a new gauge tomorrow, my trusty old one started leaking). I'm going to suspect that at 197k miles the pump doesn't have the oomph for the new injectors; with nearly a full tank of course...

What brand of pump assembly is most reputable these days? Locally can get Delphi and AC Delco for the big names and "Precision" at Orielly's as one I've never heard of but is in stock. This might need to take the family to TX this summer so I'm not looking for the cheapest, I want a good solid pump and a sender would be great as mine craps out below half a tank. Napa lists the Delphi as the OEM pump so I guess I go for that one?

Thoughts?

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdy,

Either I have bum 5-0 Motorsports injectors or my fuel pressure is too low (getting a new gauge tomorrow, my trusty old one started leaking). I'm going to suspect that at 197k miles the pump doesn't have the oomph for the new injectors; with nearly a full tank of course...

What brand of pump assembly is most reputable these days? Locally can get Delphi and AC Delco for the big names and "Precision" at Orielly's as one I've never heard of but is in stock. This might need to take the family to TX this summer so I'm not looking for the cheapest, I want a good solid pump and a sender would be great as mine craps out below half a tank. Napa lists the Delphi as the OEM pump so I guess I go for that one?

Thoughts?
What truck and year model is it going in? I have a 99 Tahoe I just put Standard Ignition brand upgraded spider injection in two weeks ago…, and now my fuel pressure is showing 58!!! So I’m needing a fuel pump as well snd sending unit as well. I’ll be watching this thread to see what folks say. When you do the swap out on the pump you should update and tell us how it went. Assuming you’re thinking about doing this week before I buy one next week. I think I saw that AcDelco had one at Oreilys for like 130$ or something. I may go with the Delphi though. There is some other brand on Amazon for 64$ though.., not sure of the brand.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Delphi and ACDelco are generally safe choices when it comes fuel pump modules for these trucks. House brand pumps are a mixed bag. The Precision pump could be Delphi, Denso, Airtex-ASC, or any of a number of other manufacturers' pumps. My bet would be on Airtex-ASC, as they supply house-brand new water pumps for Advance and O'Reilly's, as well as other products.

I would buy a Delphi or a Denso pump before buying ACDelco, simply because I know who built them and that their quality should be up to par. ACDelco could be any manufacturer's pump, depending on who they're contracted to at this moment. It SHOULD be a quality piece, but... is it? I can't say, because last year's ACD isn't necessarily this year's ACD.

All that said, be sure to replace the fuel filter and make sure the tank is clean before running a new pump.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tested it: 48psig in prime and a max of 52psig running. Needle vibrates like the fuel gauge does.

It's raining today so I'm not fixing it (not driving it this week) in that so I'll order off of RockAuto. That opens a new option: Bosch; they don't list the GM genuine for CA emissions. Want to order this afternoon so feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Delphi and ACDelco are generally safe choices when it comes fuel pump modules for these trucks. House brand pumps are a mixed bag. The Precision pump could be Delphi, Denso, Airtex-ASC, or any of a number of other manufacturers' pumps. My bet would be on Airtex-ASC, as they supply house-brand new water pumps for Advance and O'Reilly's, as well as other products.

I would buy a Delphi or a Denso pump before buying ACDelco, simply because I know who built them and that their quality should be up to par. ACDelco could be any manufacturer's pump, depending on who they're contracted to at this moment. It SHOULD be a quality piece, but... is it? I can't say, because last year's ACD isn't necessarily this year's ACD.

All that said, be sure to replace the fuel filter and make sure the tank is clean before running a new pump.
I appreciate this info!! I think I’m going with the Delphi. If I wash the tank out while it’s off…, what is the best way to make sure it’s as dry as it can get? Just use a shop vac?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An old, disposable bath towel works well. Wash it, drain as best you can, tilt it up so all the water pools in one end, and soak it up with a towel, as well as whatever drops you can reach. Make sure all the loose rust, dirt, and debris are cleaned from the tank. If you are worried about moisture after this, some HEET in the tank will bond with whatever is left and allow it to be burned in the engine.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tested it: 48psig in prime and a max of 52psig running. Needle vibrates like the fuel gauge does.

It's raining today so I'm not fixing it (not driving it this week) in that so I'll order off of RockAuto. That opens a new option: Bosch; they don't list the GM genuine for CA emissions. Want to order this afternoon so feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Do you know what the tag number on your pump is?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No but I do know it's a CA emissions vehicle vs. a Federal.

Seems that the GM MU1745 is compliant with Tier 1 California emissions.

You must be registered for see images attach

You have to scroll a bit to see the full description.

You must be registered for see images attach