96 Fuel Pump Assembly in 92 Tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As the the title says...

I've read that a 96+ fuel pump works as a replacement and upgrade for a 88-95 pump.

Is the same said for the whole assembly/housing. Are the hangers the same style?

I've read lock ring vs snap ring for some years.

I want to know if a 96 pump assembly/housing will "snap' into place into a 92 fuel tank?

Thanks

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Same sender, different pump. If your sender is still good you can just get the pump. However, since you're already there, best move is new sender at the same time.

1996 is the last full year for the "skeleton" type traditional sender, for the pickups. Partially through 1997 they changed to the "plastic trash can" style, which uses the big snap ring, instead of the old style lock ring.

Richard

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped one into my 1988 last fall. The 96 sender will drop in your tank, but it is slightly different. On 88-95 senders, the lines on the sender are Feed-Evap-Return, front to rear. On the 96, they are Feed-Return-Evap and the Evap line is angled differently. I had to splice in about 6" of hose to the evap line to make it reach the new location. YMMV.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped one into my 1988 last fall. The 96 sender will drop in your tank, but it is slightly different. On 88-95 senders, the lines on the sender are Feed-Evap-Return, front to rear. On the 96, they are Feed-Return-Evap and the Evap line is angled differently. I had to splice in about 6" of hose to the evap line to make it reach the new location. YMMV.
Good point. I should have said, "they're very similar" instead of same. It's been a while since I did any of that kind of swapping but last one was a '96 sender from a 34 gallon (longbed) tank into a '92 skinny 20-ish gallon (chassis cab) tank. Sender dropped right in but the angles on the lines were a little different to be sure. I probably mentally wrote the difference in the lines off to the widths of the tanks I was swapping between.

'96 34-gallon w/orig sender in place, '92 20-ish gallon w/orig sender in place:
You must be registered for see images attach

'92 20-ish gallon with '96 sender dropped in. I didn't have to change anything up as the supply/return/evap lines were pirated from the '96 donor truck, as well.

So to make things simpler, as I said before, if your original sender is still good, you can just drop the '96 pump into it. Be sure to get a new sock.

Richard

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So to make things simpler, as I said before, if your original sender is still good, you can just drop the '96 pump into it. Be sure to get a new sock.
This is the easiest way. When I was ordering, the pump was only $15 less than the whole assembly, so I just ordered the whole assembly thinking they were the same.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good point. I should have said, "they're very similar" instead of same. It's been a while since I did any of that kind of swapping but last one was a '96 sender from a 34 gallon (longbed) tank into a '92 skinny 20-ish gallon (chassis cab) tank. Sender dropped right in but the angles on the lines were a little different to be sure. I probably mentally wrote the difference in the lines off to the widths of the tanks I was swapping between.

'96 34-gallon w/orig sender in place, '92 20-ish gallon w/orig sender in place:

'92 20-ish gallon with '96 sender dropped in. I didn't have to change anything up as the supply/return/evap lines were pirated from the '96 donor truck, as well.

Richard
Excellent description sir!

Cheers for that.

I went ahead and purchased a new Delphi pump assembly from RA, for a 96 (vortec) truck.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will be tackling the bed tilt method, and pull the pump over the next couple of weeks. I've saved your description and will refer back to the line ordering when I reassemble.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New Spectra, 34 gallon fuel tank arrived today from Rock Auto. Minor bruises from shipping but appears intact upon inspection.

Packaging was average as per usual from those guys. I got it on wholesaler clearance sale for a whole $84 plus shipping. Made in Canada even!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the fuel pump that just recently failed on my 96 was a Delphi. Only 2 1/2 years old.