Fuel Guage Trouble!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LordFinesse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys on my 93 C1500 my fuel guage is waay off. When i fill up the lever is way over full and right after a half a tank the lever drops to below a quarter tank only about 20mi after it hits the half mark. Im guessing this is the sending unit? If it is whats involved in replacing it and whats the rough cost?

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck does the same thing. A new sending unit and pump is any where form $100 to $150. If your planning on doing it yourself it really not to complicated. You can either drop the tank or lift the bed up. when I do mine I will drop the tank, I have access to a truck lift and a tank jack so its easier than doing it on your back. The hardest part is wrestling with a tank that has fuel in it. Ill run my tank to empty when I do it. Ground strap, 2 fuel lines, wiring harness, fill tube, and the two straps holding the take up and it comes out. I think the r&r time is pretty cheap as well. I think you could take it to a shop and have it back for under $400. It time consuming if you dont have the right tools. You will need the fuel line disconnect tool. I would replace the fuel pump and sending unit just because your there and its all out

LordFinesse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, 150 aint bad but i dont have access to a lift and since my rollpan is welded in i dont really wanna take the bed off, i just dont have the room, now all thats left is to source the parts and find either a shop or someone with one

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Every fuel pump I have done is taking the bed off, it cuts the work in half, last one only took about an hour