Front springs won't seat in the control arm pocket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think, I inserted the fork in the spring, and did not put it on the bottom of the spring. Also, like I said before, I used a small floor jack to keep tension on the spring by putting it under the lower control arm. I only collapsed the spring just enough to get it in place. Once it was in place, I let off of the jack enough to get the compressor out of the spring. I was able to get to the bolt for the spring compressor, from the shock hole on the lower control arm. There was nothing else connected to the control arms when I installed the spring. Once the spring was in it's proper place, and clocked correctly, then I used the floor jack to compress everything so I could install the spinal, using the jack to compress everything again after the spindle was in place. Then reassemble everything. The last one I did was in the afternoon after a ball joint failed at lunch time while I was getting my lunch. I had my truck towed home, and started around 2:00 PM. I finished around 9:00, and by 10:00 was taking my shower to got back to work the next day on my truck. If you zoom in on the pic, you can see just how far down the driver's side fell when the ball joint failed. That was the only control arm I hadn't changed. The lower driver's side.

Attachments

• 20200504_121127.jpg
    20200504_121127.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you engine is out, you may not have enough weight to compress the spring. Wrap a chain around the frame and your front jack axle.
My engine was in, and I was still right at the point where the truck wanted to lift off the jackstands. Keep an eye on your frame as you jack the control arm.!

I also wrap a chain through my spring and around the frame.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My engine was in, and I was still right at the point where the truck wanted to lift off the jackstands. Keep an eye on your frame as you jack the control arm.!

I also wrap a chain through my spring and around the frame.
I did mine with the engine out of the van, but the conversion van weighs alot more than a pickup over the nose. I did the Tahoe when it still had the 305 sitting in it.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The FSM has you completely remove the LCA, place the spring into position in the frame pocket and in the LCA, and then jack the whole assembly back into place and reinstall the pivot bolts.
I got them installed! I removed the lower control arm from the frame by removing the two pivot bolts and kept everything else attached. The spring fits right in. No compressor needed. Once in position I used a floor jack to push the control arm back up to the frame and inserted the bolts. Thanks everyone for your replies. For anyone without a lift and or a spring compressor this is the easiest way to install stock springs!
I also installed the isolators express van reccomended while I had the springs out again.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

pokey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all ,the "tools" that the five and dime parts stores are disposable junk ,used to lure in customers.I have done this job on my 95 c1500.These trucks use serious springs.You can "chain the control arm" or "use a floor jack",but in my opinion you are better off using the right tool for the job.OTC 7045B is not cheap, but it is the best available.Search the internet,or get one from a reliable supply house.I have all my extremities ,my vision and I have been doing this stuff for some time.Good luck

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First of all ,the "tools" that the five and dime parts stores are disposable junk ,used to lure in customers.I have done this job on my 95 c1500.These trucks use serious springs.You can "chain the control arm" or "use a floor jack",but in my opinion you are better off using the right tool for the job.OTC 7045B is not cheap, but it is the best available.Search the internet,or get one from a reliable supply house.I have all my extremities ,my vision and I have been doing this stuff for some time.Good luck
I used the same tool as l31maxexpress. Only difference is the one I used was a GM part number. I borrowed it from the GM dealership I work at. Worked great

91sonoma

Reaction score
When I did my springs I used a piece of 1/2 inch all thread and 2 metal plates. i drilled a hole in each plate a little bigger than the all thread. I welded 1 nut to the all thread put a plate on then unbolted the control arm set the spring in it then ran it up through the shock put the 2nd plat on top along with the other nut. Then tighten down the nuts and it will pull the control arm and spring straight up. Bolt up the control arm and ball joint and you are done, Very easy to do

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did my springs I used a piece of 1/2 inch all thread and 2 metal plates. i drilled a hole in each plate a little bigger than the all thread. I welded 1 nut to the all thread put a plate on then unbolted the control arm set the spring in it then ran it up through the shock put the 2nd plat on top along with the other nut. Then tighten down the nuts and it will pull the control arm and spring straight up. Bolt up the control arm and ball joint and you are done, Very easy to do
Guys. My point is/was a spring compressor is not needed if you unbolt the control arm from the frame. The spring fits right in. All you have to do is jack the control arm back up to the frame and reinstall the pivot bolts. It's super easy and took 10 mins per side, tops on the driveway without a lift or a spring compressor.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys. My point is/was a spring compressor is not needed if you unbolt the control arm from the frame. The spring fits right in. All you have to do is jack the control arm back up to the frame and reinstall the pivot bolts. It's super easy and took 10 mins per side, tops on the driveway without a lift or a spring compressor.
Not in my case. A spring compressor was needed due to my truck was bare frame sitting on the ground. No other weight but the frame itself and could not jack up the control arm because the whole frame was lifting up.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not in my case. A spring compressor was needed due to my truck was bare frame sitting on the ground. No other weight but the frame itself and could not jack up the control arm because the whole frame was lifting up.
Read post #10.
I have installed springs in bare frames before.
I only use a compressor for struts.

It is also not necessary to remove the control arm bolts.
I've done alot of springs with the control arm in. I have also destroyed alot of control arm bushings
trying to get the bolts out (for other reasons) up here in rust country.