Found a 14bolt.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

They say $126 out the door. Sounds like a good deal to me. My questions are, why does the rear end have a hole punched in it, and what else do I need to check out that's important? I will be regearing and doing a rebuild anyway.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
If you're rebuilding it really shouldn't matter. As long as the casting is in good shape, you shouldn't have a problem. I would want to know why there's a hole in it though. LOL.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Also considering rebuilding my 10 bolt, but now I feel like an idiot because I don't know what size I have? is it a 7.5" 8.2" or 8.5 inch rear end? looking for rebuild parts on ebay.

92gmc4x4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
they probably punched a hole to drain the oil out of it if thats at a wrecking yard

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Looks like two holes: one in the middle and one on the bottom with a red plastic plug in it. Probably to drain the oil for enviro reasons.

It's the "little" 14 bolt so semi floater and smaller ring gear:

You must be registered for see images attach

Nice step up from a 10 bolt though.

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing this out greatwhite! so what is the difference between this 14 bolt and the other 2 14 bolts. I have a 4.56 gear ratio and 35's and I drive it nice on the street, but hard off road, and lots of mountain snow driving. So I'm guessing I should get the strongest one if possible and it needs to the a 6 lug.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing this out greatwhite! so what is the difference between this 14 bolt and the other 2 14 bolts. I have a 4.56 gear ratio and 35's and I drive it nice on the street, but hard off road, and lots of mountain snow driving. So I'm guessing I should get the strongest one if possible and it needs to the a 6 lug.

Ring gear size and semi vs full floating axles.

6 lug axles were semi floaters, full floaters are 8 bolt.

With a full floating design, the axle shaft is much less stressed and if you do manage to break a shaft the wheel doesn't depart the axle.

A semi floating axle is a great step up from a 10 bolt and will let you keep your 6 lug wheels. You have to be doing some fairly serious off roading or turning pretty big tires with some abuse to kill a semi floating 14 bolt...