FNG With Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello, didn't really get much answers in the Memeber Introduction section so I'll ask here as it seems the more appropriate place. I have a problem, I hope you guys can help me with or steer me in the right direction:

I'm really torn between a pickup or a Suburban (Hell maybe even a Tahoe if the price is right.) Suburbans are much more common around here and generally cheaper, though I feel like I'd be happier with a pickup, I'll probably have to wait alot longer.

Chevy/GMC doesn't make a difference to me though I am partial to GMC as I am a GMC tech at a local dealer. It was be a 96+ as I want the newer Vortec as well as OBDII. I'd prefer a K1500, as it would be a daily and I would like some sort of MPG as well as dont want the harsh 3/4 ride all day. But, If I found a clean K2500 for the right price I would probably jump on it.

Not really planning on going with a lift or crazy off road like many members though maybe a couple inch suspension lift and little bit taller tires wouldn't be out of the question down the road. My plan for the truck is to just set it up as a comfy daily and a dedicated tow rig for my trailer and car to get to the track. This is where the idea of a Suburban come to me, enclosed cargo area, plenty of seating for the crew, comfort, a place to hide out from weather at times. Or, just get a pickup and get a cap for the track days?

Figure a 16-1800 pound open trailer and a 2900lb Nova. That shouldn't be a issue for a stock K1500 either Burb or pickup should it? Minor things to help it trailer better would also be done.

Is there a easy way to identify a factory towing package on these trucks? What exactly did the factory towing package entail?

Sorry for the many questions, thanks for yalls help.

- Rob

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Easiest way to locate a GMT400 with towing capabilities is to look out for the 8 lug wheels, that's typically a good indicator. If you're going to be towing on a regular basis I would recommend a 2500 or 3500, they're much beefier all around with a stronger frame, bigger brakes, and heavy duty suspension. I'd personally be very unhappy with a 1500, but to each his own

Reaction score
I should have said, way to identify towing package on a 1500 truck. I won't be towing often a few times a yr to the track (which is in NJ), and short local trips. Aside from towing the truck's main job will be as a solid, dependable, daily. Which is why I'm leaning more towards a 1500.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Not sure, but you could look up the VIN online easily. I don't think many 1500s came with the heavy duty towing package

Skylersa

Reaction score
I would definitely find a 1500 and look for a 14bolt semi-floater out back. 1500's with the rpo code "f44" have the 14 bolt, most of the time. F44 is also known as the heavy duty chassis package (bigger rear brakes and 14b sf). I believe it almost always comes with a towing package. I got lucky and got a 1997 k1500 with the z71 and f44. Most people don't even realize they have one when they do. For a little extra peace of mind, i would find one of these. A 3/4 ton is definitely not necessary for short trips with that amount of weight.

Reaction score
Holyyy back from the dead. Well, 7 years later, I picked up a GMT400 [emoji1787]! I've had a couple 800s since that original post and now, I kinda learned what I'm looking for in an everyday truck (referring to the original post).

Got out of being a line tech and went to work for Lockheed-Martin on the F35 program. Man, I made that post at either 18 or 19 years old.

About a year ago I picked up a bone stock 96 Suburban K15 (still a toss up for me between pickups and Suburbans lol) and its a great truck. Also, I've learned I'd love to have a 2500 everyday but much harder to come by at a decent price. I've been having out of nowhere wierd issues with this one in the last few months: destroyed grounds, completely random horrible misfires (though usually when it's wet outside or sits for more then two days), fuel leaks, etc.

Distributor was changed to a Summit aluminum body one and that seemed to be the ticket as well as the ground repairs on the miss. Fuel lines have a leak in the feed at the tank and I'm contemplating going nylon. Anyone have any experience here?

Over the last 7 years with a Northface Avalanche "heavy half" and Silverado with the same, I've learned what I like in my everyday trucks (again referring to the original post lol).

Plan for this one is the same as the beginning and the other trucks I'd say. I'm thinking: level up front and an add a leaf in the back, looking for a good set of towing shocks (I've had Monomax in the last two trucks and have mixed feelings), decent set of A/Ts, and looking for a military style 16" wheel (any recommendations?)

I have a decent set of heads and intake to put on the truck, and would like to find a cheap, but okay set of headers (whats out there other then the Summit ones?), as well as utilizing the Y-pipe and a single muffler (are there good aftermarket Ys for these trucks?) to take care of the wicked exhaust leak. And also just put some better parts in it.

Some better brakes, trans cooler, and a Blackbear tune and other assortments, and I think ill have a great everyday/racecar trailer truck. These days the trailer is aluminum and its got a 2600# Fox on it. I've always loved the GMT8 and it was great to me, but I had to fill that GMT4 hole too lol

The only pictures I have of the truck on Long Island, I've recently relocated to North Carolina.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: