Fluids and filtration discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Engine oil: Castrol High Mileage 10W-40 in summer/ 10W-30 in winter/ 1 can of BG MOA every oil change (3000 mi.)

Oil filter: Wix

Trans fluid: Valvoline ATF/ Wix filter

Engine coolant: O'Reilly brand about 60/40 ratio

Rear end fluid: Valvoline 85/90

Transfer case: Valvoline ATF

Front diff: Valvoline 85/90

Air cleaner: K&N drop in replacement/ Wix when I let K&N dry for a few days after cleaning

Power Steering: Valvoline ATF

Fuel filter: Wix/ BG 44K every 3rd or 4th fill up

Brake Fluid: Valvoline DOT 3&4

Washer Fluid: NAPA brand

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
This thread is doing way better than I thought. I picked up a drop in replacement k&n today at the jy. It's in awesome shape. Ill wash it out and it will just need an oiling to run. I have a full intake setup so I have no use for it but I got it for a steal and I know someone here could benefit from it. So if anyone wants it I will ship to wherever.

Tyler/T-Unit

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
That's what it calls for. :shrug: I may drain it when I do the tranny/tcase and switch it to synthetic. I'm guessing its because power steering is high pressure and involves gears turning. And it doesn't have a filter so the detergent content needs to be bumped up. :think: best I can do as far as bs'ing is concerned. What does the blue Gatorade do?

Tyler/T-Unit

No bashing or anything, but where did you hear that GM recommends the use of ATF? All of our vehicle guides, which come from the manufactures, state to use Power steering fluid (Clear) and not ATF on GM. Fords and Cryslers use ATF, but i have never seen a single GM with ATF in the power steering reservoir.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I bought and run auto parts store power steering fluid. Thought it was ATF. I know f*rd uses ATF.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
No bashing or anything, but where did you hear that GM recommends the use of ATF? All of our vehicle guides, which come from the manufactures, state to use Power steering fluid (Clear) and not ATF on GM. Fords and Cryslers use ATF, but i have never seen a single GM with ATF in the power steering reservoir.

No I gotcha. My d*dge dealer days were pounding at my brain. My bad

Tyler/T-Unit

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I've always used atf for power steering. Just about every older vehicle I've owned leaked it and ps fluid isn't cheap. Like the same price for 1/8 the size...

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I don't think anything bad can come from running ATF but it was my bad for not thinking before speaking on the book recommendation. I had a nice little chat with my brain to remind it that; as often as it may want to think it does; it in fact does not know everything and needs to get off its high horse and come back to ground level. We have an understanding now. :lmao:

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Anyone else? :bump:
I'm switching from 10w-40 back to 5w-30. I was
Running the thicker stuff for the leaky oil cooler lines a few months back and now that those are fixed and I've run my first batch of 5w-30 since that repair I've realized oil consumption is virtually the same so imma make it a little easier on the pump and go back to 5w-30.

Valvoline max life full synthetic of course.

Tyler/T-Unit

Last edited: