Fluids and filtration discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Synthetic has always held up at the very least a little better. An the filter should catch any particulate matter. So a good filter is always the way to go.

Tyler/T-Unit

Strictly Wix filters. Cutouts of them speaks for itself IMO. I would rather use cheap oil and a wix than the other way around them. I usually budget well for routine maintenance. I don't like to skimp there. Helps to get free cases of fluids too.... Sometimes even free wix filters too....

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Strictly Wix filters. Cutouts of them speaks for itself IMO. I would rather use cheap oil and a wix than the other way around them. I usually budget well for routine maintenance. I don't like to skimp there. Helps to get free cases of fluids too.... Sometimes even free wix filters too....

Dry starts and detergent content is also a big deal too.

Tyler/T-Unit

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Unsure of dry starts, although there isn't any lifter tic, not even on an absolute cold starts.

Detergent quality shouldn't be an issue either, 3k changes.

tailpipe51

Suburbanholic
Reaction score
engine oil: quakerstate high milage 10W30

engine coolant: green lol

tranny: idk its red im guessin amsoil since my uncle did it (same with t case and diffs)

air fiter: K&N

oil filter: K&N

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine oil: valvoline high mileage 10w30

Oil filter: AC Delco

Trans fluid: royal purple synchromesh. Although I think next time I need to change it, I'll switch to GM synchromesh.

Engine coolant: Prestone. Green stuff.

Rear end fluid: royal purple, forgot what weight I used.

Transfer case: never changed it so whatever happens to be in there lol

Front diff: again never changed it so I have no idea lol

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Castrol Full Synthetic 10W40 with Delco filter every 2500-3000 (haven't reached the first change on this engine yet).
80/20 Dexcool/distilled water
DOT3 whatever-is-in-the-shop-at-the-time. Still have to do a flush :nono: and THEN I'll be picky on fluid. Thoughts on DOT5? I am running Hydroboost and am doing a rear disc swap
Castrol high-mile DEXVI (most of the fluid came out during the swap).
Castrol full synthetic 80W-90 (G80 locker, works PERFECT except for the new grinding noise after that drunk ***** hit me)
Power steering got Castrol DEXVI when I topped it off after the swap. Probably going to flush it and fill with the same.
Washer Fluid - Blue. I actually had to flush it. Because my brother thought it would be funny to pour blue Gatorade in there instead. @$$hole.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Castrol Full Synthetic 10W40 with Delco filter every 2500-3000 (haven't reached the first change on this engine yet).
80/20 Dexcool/distilled water
DOT3 whatever-is-in-the-shop-at-the-time. Still have to do a flush :nono: and THEN I'll be picky on fluid. Thoughts on DOT5? I am running Hydroboost and am doing a rear disc swap
Castrol high-mile DEXVI (most of the fluid came out during the swap).
Castrol full synthetic 80W-90 (G80 locker, works PERFECT except for the new grinding noise after that drunk ***** hit me)
Power steering got Castrol DEXVI when I topped it off after the swap. Probably going to flush it and fill with the same.
Washer Fluid - Blue. I actually had to flush it. Because my brother thought it would be funny to pour blue Gatorade in there instead. @$$hole.

Lmao, I've done the blue gatorade.. definitely an arsehole move. :lol:

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Hey Tyler, i don't know if this was asked already, but why do you run ATF in your power steering reservoir?

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
That's what it calls for. :shrug: I may drain it when I do the tranny/tcase and switch it to synthetic. I'm guessing its because power steering is high pressure and involves gears turning. And it doesn't have a filter so the detergent content needs to be bumped up. :think: best I can do as far as bs'ing is concerned. What does the blue Gatorade do?

Tyler/T-Unit