Fluid change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
So my 4L80e I picked up only had 70k miles on it. Dude drove it home from auction in Columbus Ohio about 2 hours to his house with zero problems then we tore the truck down (horribly rusted body and frame that wasnt worth savin). Yall think I should go ahead and change fluid n filter or just top it off after I get it in truck? I'm leaning toward a fluid n filter change since its low miles but fluid is still pretty decent red.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Cant go wrong with taking the safe rout and doing a full fluid and filter change. IMO, that should be standard practice with any engine/trans/t-case/rearend swap.

That's what I was thinking. This Rona slowing down my build. Our hall has almost zero work and unemployment bein screwed up I'm not spending money on the truck too much. At a dead end for now so garage is now my private bar til my checks start comin. Just sit n stare at all my junk that's waitin on me.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hands down give it a full flush regardless of mileage. I can't believe this is even a question.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'd change it..... if it's out of the truck you can change it all, you won't have 1/2 still in the convertor, right?

dannyboy0225

Reaction score
Without know service history, fluid and filter. What color is the fluid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Hands down give it a full flush regardless of mileage. I can't believe this is even a question.

Boredom set in. My unemployment is all screwed up from this Rona so I can't go spending a lot on parts til it got straightened out n I was just sitting in garage waitin on parts to show up so figured I'd play dumb for a lil bit. Budgeting sucks.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Boredom set in. My unemployment is all screwed up from this Rona so I can't go spending a lot on parts til it got straightened out n I was just sitting in garage waitin on parts to show up so figured I'd play dumb for a lil bit. Budgeting sucks.

You'd be saving yourself the cost of 2 gallons of ATF to do a full purge vs a filter so even that argument doesn't fly.