Fluid change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shifter quicker,and smoother overall. Notice it tended to run cooler also.
DexVI is the only fluid licensed by GM for it's transmissions.
It is backwards compatible with every GM automatic transmission to date.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have used Valvoline synthetic which is Dexron VI in my 4L80 and 4L60's and have never been able to tell a difference in how they behave. I don't have trans temp gauges on mine though, so I can't say about temps.

I was going to recommend to the OP that if cash was tight, SuperTech is fine--I use the VV synthetic and SuperTech interchangeably in my transmissions. In fact my trans guy says conventional ATF is fine. Just keep the fluid BRIGHT RED--not red, not dark red, not brown, not black, but bright red........

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I personally never noticed any difference between Dex 3 and Dex 6 in my transmissions either. Given a choice between the two I'll run Dex 6 though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It was likely the fact that new fluid is better than old fluid and a new filter flows better than an old one. I've done basic filter changes and felt a diff before.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It is backwards compatible with every GM automatic transmission to date.

I've been told that it shouldn't be used in the Saturn S-series automatic. Of course Saturn was kind of separate from the rest of GM during that period, and you'll never find one of those in a truck unless it's in the box.:D

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes new fluid should make your transmission happy. My truck runs a little bit better after an oil change

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used Dex VI in my 4L60's and never really noticed any improvement, but it's certainly a good fluid. I use Delvac 1 ATF in mine, mostly because of the TES-295 approval and that I can get it for a reasonable price from work. Not very budget friendly though.