First Post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea and Ill bet I can still set a card, and timing by ear too. Make it run better than a timing light. Hell even my wife could rebuild a 4 barrel carb back in the day. Hell she even changed the plugs on the 440 Chrysler at 6 months pregnant when I was offshore.

Last edited:

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea and Ill bet I can still set a card, and timming by ear too. Make it run better than a timming light. Hell even my wife could.rebuild a 4 barrol carb back in the day. Hell dhe evemdid the plugs on the Chrysler at 6 months pregnant when I was offshore.
Yes set it where it ran good,started good with no ping, ahh the good ol days ! My dad started me twisting wrench's on his old dirt track cars in 1965 and as a reward I got to hot lap them until I was old enough to run an actual race. Hot lapping was all the payment I needed for all the OJT dad give me on those old early models and then moved on to late models. Those were the days, some of the happiest days of my life !

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea and Ill bet I can still set a card, and timming by ear too. Make it run better than a timming light. Hell even my wife could.rebuild a 4 barrol carb back in the day. Hell dhe evemdid the plugs on the Chrysler at 6 months pregnant when I was offshore.
Now that is a woman worth keeping Kenny.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that is a woman worth keeping Kenny.
We have been together since 1979. Lord knows, we have been through a lot of crap together. She was there when I had no job, and no money. She was there when I had throat cancer in 2012, and took care of me. And we are still together after we lost our son almost 3 years ago. I trust her more than anyone else walking the face of the earth. Not to mention, She loves me to death. I couldn't beat Her away with a ****** mop, not that I would. And when we got together, people said we wouldn't last 6 months.

Reaction score
What a Great Day I had today , me and the wife of 37 years sat around on a rainy day and just watched TV and talked about Friends and the days we had in the past. Get out your photo albums and dust them off, and call old, and new Friends.

And then now logging on to read the Heart Felt replies, knowing just what you are saying and more memories come to mind. Yes indeed the wife is involved also in my, well hobby. 35 plus working for AC Delco, now heavy truck repair, front office. I am going to RETIRE soon after working 38, Heavy Equipment Construction, Grading Forman.

Thank You Very Much for the Welcome and hope that I can contribute some knowledge or just have some fun in the days, years to come.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not even all that old yet, or married, but I still enjoyed reading the stories. :lol:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My ole man was a mechanic/cab owner for over 40 years. Between him & my Uncle, they owned over 30 cabs & along with their 2 full time employees, maintained many others in the fleet of 150.
He has never owned a timing light.
Hand on the air-cleaner, twist the distributor till just so, lock it down & go.
By hanging around the shop since I was a young teen, I also learned to set points with a matchbook & a keychain screwdriver.
But I have to set timing via Test-&-Tune. Get it close, go for a drive & (usually!) reset if needed.
I remember setting timing on my muscle-cars by getting it close, snugging the distributor just tight enough to hold it & then running stop light to stop light, jumping out at each one & advancing just till the ping happened. Back off a degree or two & it was good to go.
Got good at it because I did that most Friday afternoons. Had to be ready for the weekend street wars when I'd run a 50/50 mix of H2o & Isopropyl alcohol in the water injection, along with a couple of cans of octane boost in a tank of 94 octane. Swap out the Holley's jets for a couple of sizes bigger. With that I could bump the timing w-a-y up!
Sunday afternoon, I'd be resetting the timing, swapping out those big jets, replacing header gaskets & adjusting the clutch so it'd be ready for the Monday morning commute.
Back then, we called that 'fun'!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach