FEELER: gently used NV4500 5 speed from a 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Putting some serious thought to pulling the NV4500 from my '94 GMC and swapping in an automatic so my girlfriend can drive it when needed. She's a bit too blonde for the stick; she just recently learned to drive automatics using only one foot...

This is a 100K mile transmission from a HALF TON 2WD, not a dually work truck or even a 2500, it has led a very pampered life in a truck that is in extremely nice condition. Not beat on in any way whatsoever. It works perfectly. If I sell it, it would be complete - transmission, bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, shifter, and probably even the clutch master cylinder and line as I wouldn't need them anymore either.

Needless to say I'm fully aware of what it can be worth. I've sold plenty of units with a lot more use on them for $500 and higher, when I ran the salvage yard. So this one won't be cheap, but I will price it fairly.

Anybody interested?

Richard

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4x4 is possible with a tail housing and a 4x4 main shaft I paid 650 for one that was complete

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thats close enough. I would be very interested but would require months to save up money.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
4x4 is possible with a tail housing and a 4x4 main shaft I paid 650 for one that was complete
That's not bad, as I said though most come out of 3500's, 2500's, this is out of a relatively low mile 1500 that hasn't been beat on. I think that's not too easy to find. Jeez man even the seats, door panels and carpet in this truck are still nice. Old man truck.

Ok thats close enough. I would be very interested but would require months to save up money.
Might take me months to get around to doing the swap. ;) I work stupid hours, and haven't even committed to stacking the parts to do the job.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes and no. What's hard is finding one that isn't worn the hell out. They suffer a common failure of the synchros between 1-2 going bad so people just limp them around until the whole transmission needs a rebuild. If you are going to buy one be suspicious of this. A good rebuild is generally a grand or more. If someone runs the wrong lubricant in them and they still have the original carbon-fiber synchros, those are now toast.

Also the earlier units 1992-1994 have a much steeper low gear, 6.34:1 vs. the 1995-up units with 5.61:1. Also the 1992-1995 units have the old style slave cylinder setup with the fork and release bearing; newer have the integrated slave cylinder/release bearing setup with no fork and use a different bellhousing. An NV4500 from a 3500HD has an extended output shaft and housing to allow for the shaft-mounted parking brake.

1996 NV4500 from a C3500
You must be registered for see images attach

1994 NV4500 from a 3500HD
You must be registered for see images attach

I guess at this point it wouldn't hurt to mention that this "feeler" post is toast; I sold the truck complete instead of converting it.

Richard