Fed up with vibration issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Depends on what your problem is. Here is the thing, first, my 2 piece driveshafts were too short. The guy at that re-tubed my shafts told me how to measure so he could get them correct after telling him I had a vibration. My shafts were around 3/4 of an inch each too short. Second, I think the cross-member on these trucks are too flimsy and should not be bolted directly to the frame, notice the transmission crossmember has rubber in it. So I think getting rid of the crossmember was really what helped mine, but if you have something else worn out the driveshaft will not correct that.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I had to have a driveshaft made for my truck because it was a conversion truck and I couldn't get a factory driveshaft for it.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So how did you get rid of the cross member? Did you replace it with one you made? Did you add any extra braces?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Where mine was a centurion conversion it was bolted in, I removed it and did not replace it. GM had a recall, IIRC, on the 2500 OBS CCSB's and from what i have read is that they just sawed the middle out when they did the one piece conversions for vibrations, but, some people made them buy the trucks back. It would be really difficult to fabricate a crossmember that would go over or below the shaft and make it look good, if you ran it over it you would see it hanging under the frame and I'm not sure there is enough room on top. There is a tortion bar xmember and the tranny one a little in front, and a couple gas one behind it that I think, based on no evidence, provides enough proof. I did this on 2 of the trucks without any problems.