Favorite cheap tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grimpalahat

Reaction score
Instead of writing in sharpie on the side of the zip-loc, cut up an index card or any other card stock and use pencil to label what's in the bag and then toss it in the bag.

The sharpie rubs off over time so you lose that info, the pencil is water proof and for the most part oil and chemical proof (within reason), and the card stock won't completely get destroyed by the contents. I have a small stack of fluorescent cards that I've had since college, I even color code the parts cards at times.

You can also buy price tags and use them to tag wires/hoses (with pencil) instead of tape which could leave residue in some cases.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lerner383

Reaction score
The why are expensive hand tools better than cheap tools thread got me thinking about my favorite cheap (under $20) tools.

1. Paper clips. I use them to back probe wires. I touch them to the grinder and heat the tip when I want to pierce wires. I use them as short jumper wires. I slide them over wires and put tape on them to label wires. Occasionally I even use them to hold papers.

2. Ratchet straps. I'd be dead without these. These are my strong, 3rd 4th and 5th hands and they never have to stop and rest unlike me. I use them for temporary crossmembers, leveling engines on the cherry picker, holding up driveshafts and any place where I need help.

3. Magnetic spark plug socket. I kind of thought that this was a gimmick. I only bought it because I was a few dollars short of free shipping from Summit and I found this for under $10. I love, love, love it! No more screwing around with those stupid rubber inserts that are too darn tight so I rip them out and throw the rubber away. This uses a magnet right above the hex of the spark plug and it just freaking works.

4. Zip lock bags and a sharpie. I have too many things going on at the same time and sometimes it is months before I can get back to a project. I label the bags with what the bolts go to and toss them in the vehicle.

5. Harbor Freight hammers. I suck with a hammer so I just use big ones most of the time. I have a 4lb short handle sledge and a 3ish lb dead blow. I have others but I rarely use them.

6. Harbor Freight hose pliers. I can't believe how good these really are. The intent is to use the curved jaws to wrap around a hose, squeeze and twist the hose off. I bet that they would do a good job of that but I've never used them that way. I do use the for 99% of the time that I would normally use needle nose pliers. I used them for all kinds of pinching clips (fuel lines, heater quick connections, oil coolers), picking up non-magnetic items, pulling on tubes/fuel lines/wire harnesses, hose clamps and so much more.

7. Pencil and paper. This is pretty obvious but taking notes, making plans and drawing schematics are the easy ones. How about making patterns for welding, shimming something up, stopping rattles or taking a piece of paper over a socket or wrench and then shoving the fastener into the paper to keep the fastener in place?
Thanks for taking the time to post! This forum is a wealth of info for the good ole boys (and girls) who do their own wrenchin. I used the paper clip idea just the other day. The cheap sandwich bags from walmart make good parts bags.. Here's a couple of my own add ons..
1. Williams stubby wrenches, one of the best buys I ever made. This is the set I have, purchase from whoever you want to give your hard earned dollars to... https://www.williams-industrial.com...-wrench-set-7-piece-3-8----3-4--pb_11030.html

2. Harbor Freight 3/8 swivel ratchet. I use this pup all the time and love it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-quick-release-swivel-head-ratchet-96782.html

3. I use a 2" ratchet strap across the frame rails and under the trans pan to support the trans when I pull the engine on my gm trucks. That way you can crawl around under there with out bashing your brains on the tranny jack LOL.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headlamps: Invaluable 'tool' for working on basically anything. For whatever reason, older guys think these things are gimmicks. It's nice having both hands free with light exactly where you need it.

This! I have one from HF that I wasn't going to buy because thought it was too expensive for something that's non-rechargeable. Have to swap out the 3 "AAA" batteries every so often, but man is it BRIGHT. Also, the lens is telescoping so you can make the beam go from floodlight to spotlight. Quite handy.

Seems the price has dramatically changed since I bought it. I'm telling you, this was $30 when I bought it. 3600+ reviews, however, don't lie. It's a nice headlamp.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This! I have one from HF that I wasn't going to buy because thought it was too expensive for something that's non-rechargeable. Have to swap out the 3 "AAA" batteries every so often, but man is it BRIGHT. Also, the lens is telescoping so you can make the beam go from floodlight to spotlight. Quite handy.

Seems the price has dramatically changed since I bought it. I'm telling you, this was $30 when I bought it. 3600+ reviews, however, don't lie. It's a nice headlamp.

I have to get with the times, holding a metal flashlight in my mouth to free up both hands is getting very old.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to post! This forum is a wealth of info for the good ole boys (and girls) who do their own wrenchin. I used the paper clip idea just the other day. The cheap sandwich bags from walmart make good parts bags.. Here's a couple of my own add ons..
1. Williams stubby wrenches, one of the best buys I ever made. This is the set I have, purchase from whoever you want to give your hard earned dollars to... https://www.williams-industrial.com...-wrench-set-7-piece-3-8----3-4--pb_11030.html

2. Harbor Freight 3/8 swivel ratchet. I use this pup all the time and love it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-quick-release-swivel-head-ratchet-96782.html

3. I use a 2" ratchet strap across the frame rails and under the trans pan to support the trans when I pull the engine on my gm trucks. That way you can crawl around under there with out bashing your brains on the tranny jack LOL.
I've changed the clutch on my 4" lifted 33" 84 Toyota 4wd at least 4 times over the years. The first time my brother and I pulled/put back the trans. transfer case together with just a floor jack and some blocks on the jack to get it high enough. Having 4 hands/arms makes it pretty easy. The last 2 times I did it by myself using 3 cam tie downs on the frame under the assembly along w the jack. 3 tie downs and the push/cam TDs make it quick/easy to adjust them.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never have 3M green masking tape or straight edge razor blades more than a few feet away from me when in the shop.
I don't understand how people survive without them.
I also have a pocketknife with me every waking moment and a pen always at work.