False Neutral Between 2nd and 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codyw20

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 1994 K1500 with a 4l60e and I have a slight problem when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It will sometimes hit neutral when upshifting from 2nd to 3rd. It will go in once I let of throttle for a couple seconds. It does not do this every time and varies on throttle position so I can't always recreate the issue but it happens enough to be an issue. However, if I drive the truck in D instead of OD it doesn't seem to have this problem. Or at least a lot more rare if it does.

The truck has 265K on it, and I am not sure if the tranny has every been replaced. The fluid looks good and red, fresh. It also shifts pretty hard from 1 to 2 if that matters. Any ideas?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's called a flare. Not sure what causes it, but it is a common issue. If your innards are still healthy then a Corvette servo and a shift kit or just valve body work in general would likely fix it. Since the servo is 100% external I'd give that a shot first. My servo pin had a ridge worn into it when I did my shift kit.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's gonna go... Get ready.