700r4 all neutrals.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jebadiah

Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I got a parts truck recently hoping to use the engine and trans. Engine runs great. Trans has issues. In my specific case when I start it up it seems to be in park. I try shifting to other gears and have a total of 7 neutrals. It does not drive in any gear plus the park pawl is not engaging. I forgot to pull it into neutral when I pushed it by hand and discovered park did not work. What could be any possible cause for these issues? I have no problem rebuilding the Trans if need be. Just need to know what I'm looking for.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can't feel any detents in the shifter, there's something wrong in the shifter. If there are detents, but the parking pawl doesn't engage, it's probably broken off.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a parts truck recently
WHAT VEHICLE? We're not mind-readers.

In my specific case when I start it up it seems to be in park. I try shifting to other gears and have a total of 7 neutrals. It does not drive in any gear plus the park pawl is not engaging.
If this is a 4WD, is the transfer case in neutral?

If this is a 2WD or 4WD, is the driveshaft(s) missing?

Jebadiah

Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE? We're not mind-readers.

If this is a 4WD, is the transfer case in neutral?

If this is a 2WD or 4WD, is the driveshaft(s) missing
Sorry I forgot to mention it is an 89 1500 2wd and the driveshaft is indeed there. I have it on jackstands at the moment and can rotate the driveshaft while it's in park. At this point I have all body parts stripped off the frame so I'm actuating the shift mechanism at the Trans by hand.

Jebadiah

Reaction score
If you can't feel any detents in the shifter, there's something wrong in the shifter. If there are detents, but the parking pawl doesn't engage, it's probably broken off.
I can feel the detents shifting the trans.

Jebadiah

Reaction score
Trans comes apart to discover what broke.

Potentially, planetary gears have broken teeth, or other "hard part" failure.
Isnt the park ring gear the shell on the output shaft that the planetary goes into?

haroldwca

Reaction score
I believe you are correct. I'm looking at my photos from my last rebuild. Here's a thought. The parking pawl is engaged by the same rod/lever combination (inside the transmission case) that actuates shifting the transmission into drive or reverse. What if that mechanism has somehow become disengaged, disconnected, or has simply broken loose. Is there a point of failure which would still allow the detents to be engaged, and yet cause nothing to be shifted?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a point of failure which would still allow the detents to be engaged, and yet cause nothing to be shifted?
Yes, but no matter what you need to take it apart and see why the parking pawl doesn't engage. You have loose and/or broken parts inside your transmission. Left alone, that never ends well.